Why do you need a SSD HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redbrick, Jul 15, 2011.

1. redbrick macrumors newbie

I'm curious....for those of you who need the SSD HD.... why do you need it? What are you doing that's soooo crucial / time critical that you need a SSD? Current SSD's don't have the useful capacity for any significant video editing or photo editing...so why? ...just curious...

Thanks in advance

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Faster boot-up, quicker app launching, faster shut-down, no noise or vibration, less drain on the battery, no moving parts...

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

What do you consider as useful capacity? They do make 600GB SSD's now that fit into an MBP.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Largest are around 480GB. Those sell for well over 1K.

5. DKTacts macrumors member

^That would be impractically expensive.

And no one "needs" an SSD - it's just a nice upgrade that makes your macbook faster (the mechanics behind it is that SSD's have less moving parts = less likely for parts to fail) and more secure. In my opinion, it's not worth the cost/benefit.

6. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

For some people it may not be worth the cost/benefit. For others, whose time is of an essence (or they just have too much money) they may feel a little differently. Everyone has their own needs.

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

No, 600GB for $1100. There may be larger, that that's the biggest I know of. And Intel makes it; it's not like it's some fly by night company claiming to make one, it's real.

8. seong macrumors 65816

seong

It's just my opinion, but I think SSDs are for people who love technology, or at least know well lot about it, who has enough money to buy it. Most of the people won't bother with buying a $200 SSD plus $100 for Optibay just so that they can get an overall speed boost for their daily usage.

9. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

From the reports I've seen, it would appear that the processing speed, app launching, booting etc. are somewhat (to a large extent it would seem) faster with an SSD HD..

For these reasons I think that my next purchase will be a macbook with an SSD.. But I don't think that I would go out of my way to upgrade the systems I have now, mainly because my macbook is now over 2 years old and will be replaced next year and the iMac is just a bitch to upgrade...

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Makes everything faster. Plain and simple. I can't comprehend how a prospective buyer could decide they "need" an upgrade CPU but they will stick with an HDD. Makes no sense to me. The biggest bottleneck in any computer is the hard drive. An SSD helps you get the most out of your system.

11. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I've had 3 HDD's fail from a little too much travel time. One too many bumps can result in a ticking drive. SSD = no more issues.

If you're laptop has minimal travel time, then I'm sure this is negligible.

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

aside from the quicker access to files and apps, boot-up, etc. You get the benefit of a drive that will be worth its price overtime. no mechanical spinning hardware, that can wear out a normal drive 2-3, 3-5 years, at the least the SSD will be a worthwhile investment that wont degrade too much too soon.

now with thunderbolt, SSD on portables even 128GB you can connect a larger quick external disk for fast access doing on the go video or whatever production. I never like to keep my eggs in one basket per se with hard drives especially on an OS/Main drive. regardless of capacity.

13. blackbinary macrumors member

Your interpretation of the situation is a bit off, OP.

You say 'time critical', like we can bear to wait another second.

For some things, it can make a huge difference. A 3D render might render a half hour faster or more depending on the size of the render.

Using Photoshop or a program like this, the scratch disk will be much faster and so working on big projects will be much less laggy and painful.

In general using more than one application will be smoother. If programs are in a queue waiting to launch, the faster each launches, the less time your waiting.

I find in my work as a web and print designer, there are many occassions on a 5400RPM drive that I will be waiting for 5 seconds - minute because of the slow hard drive. With a SSD these times are cut down significantly.

It's easy to save an hour of time that would otherwise be spent waiting.

Additionally, SSDs are a fine size.

A 120GB SSD will cost around $280. This is big enough to hold the OS and all of your applications, plus some files your currently working on that you want the speed for.

You can then have an external, or second drive (optibay) which is a traditional hard drive. The 750GB in the MBP is perfect. This drive can hold all of your large files that don't need the speed, such as music and movies, as well as older projects your not immediately working on.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why buy a Mac when a pc will due? Worst thread ever.

15. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Unless your throwing wads of cash on the fire to keep you warm at night forget this option.

16. Philflow macrumors 65816

I'd go with hybrid drives. 500GB for $100. Fast boot up and application launching. Best of both worlds.

17. eC1990ho macrumors member

120gb will cost you around 170€ right now, just saying.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say need is too harsh of a word in my case.

I wanted a non mechanical storage device in my laptop. The increase in speed over an HD is just icing on the cake. :)

With 2 kids in my household, the prospect of jarring the laptop while in use was to much for me to handle, so I opted for the SSD

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree, it is all that, but I'll go further; they are a lot more stable and less prone to HD failure than the standard HD.

Another thread on this forum asked whether anyone with an iTouch had ever experienced battery failure; no-one responded in the affirmative, whereas I have had two iPod classics die on me. My old MBP suffered both HD and battery failure, a fate I do not expect to experience on my MBA.

Re cost, inevitably, with technological advances, the price will come down, probably quite considerably, over the next few years. A few years ago, a memory stick with 1 or 2GB cost nearly €100, now, they are considered almost surplus to requirements.

Cheers

20. seong macrumors 65816

seong

This :D I love how you mentioned the 2GB usb going from 100 euro to almost nothing. I hope the SSDs will replace the HDDs in the near future for all laptops.

21. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

nobody really needs a ssd, it's just a preference.

22. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

The way I look at it - I just spent $2,500 on a great laptop, and by far the slowest component is the HD. It's like getting a Ferrari and using all-season tires on it. For me SSD gives a tremendous improvement in app opening time and overall responsiveness of my MBP. For $200, a 128Gb C300 was a no-brainer, and I couldn't be happier with this setup.

I went back to only my 750Gb HD for few weeks because the 128Gb SSD was not enough capacity, but once you use SSD, you never want to go back. Data Doubler solved that problem.

Polbit

23. jbjones85 macrumors member

I agree with this, Went with a 120gb OWC on mine the second day I had it and its great. Just recently ordered the data doubler to utilize the space of the stock drive for music/movies/older documents. Is it needed, no, is it worth it 100%.

24. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Actually isn't it a myth that SSDs use less power? I remember hearing they use about the same amount of power as a regular spinning hard drive.

25. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

The OP talked about movie production and music production. I'm just stating a fact that these things exist out in the wild so if a producer or director would like to use these things to speed up their processes, it's available to them.

Besides, if the more people buy, the more they will make them. If everyone only buys the 128GB version, then they'll keep making the low end ones until the market shifts.