Why do you need fingerprint scanner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by delToros, Aug 5, 2013.

1. delToros macrumors member

Don't get me wrong, i'm using iphone since 2g. But I really can't see any practical implementation of fingerprint scanner.

Ok, it is new tech, cool feature.. But when and why will you use it? Just for unlock instead of 4-digit pin? Admit it, it is not that useful.

What else?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

3. cynics macrumors G3

A minority will find it useful because they have a long passcode they have to have for work. So they won't need to enter it.

Personally I can't see a good use for it. However it all depends on implementation. Maybe Apple will think of a cool useful way to use it that none of us have thought of. If not it screams gimmick to me.

Its like voice dictation. I could have used speech to text to type this post in. However I used the keyboard. I'm gonna do the same for a fingerprint scanner. I have to for work reasons, but I never had a problem with a 4 pin code + 15 minute lock.

4. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Who knows what you could convert over to the fingerprint scanner. Yes it seems silly that it would be used just to unlock your phone but.. Lets say you lose your phone, and the thief puts it in their computer to restore it. Great! Now just verify your fingerprint and its all yours! Mobile payments, I much rather know that I must use my fingerprint to confirm a purchases. It's just another level of security, cause lets face it, using passwords is just downright not safe.. No one can steal your fingerprint.. unless they do some CSI action

5. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Don't forget it's Apple that seemingly has decided implement one and they tend to have their reasons. Maybe they're gonna reveal a huge deal with retailers to support mobile payments on release of the device.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Just had an idea. Ever have your friends purposely type in the wrong passcode to lock up your phone? I have... 60 minute wait to reenter a password?! Why do I consider these people friends... A fingerprint would be a perfect override to that

7. cynics macrumors G3

Just to play devils advocate because I agree with you. What if better ways to steal prints happens. In a world that uses biometrics you'd be royally screwed. Explain to your bank that it wasn't you using your finger print, good luck getting that changed.

----------

While a good use for it I wouldn't consider that a good reason to want it.

8. Alterion macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Not a convincing reason to want it, but it doesnt hurt to have it right?
    Granted, I dont think many people will go from a 5 to a 5S for the sole reason of a fingerprint scanner. Though iPhone 4 users and anyone with prior iphones would benefit.

I dont think any of the features of the S are too convincing to upgrade from the previous version (I mainly speak for myself) 4 to 4S wasnt enough for me, and 5 to 5S is probably going to be about the same. Though 3G to 3GS I probably would have, if I had been as much of a fanatic as I am now :p

10. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Im quite sure Apple intends more than a 4 digit phone lock password use...

I HATE remembering passwords and typing them on the antiquated iOS keyboard (that needs to be redesigned big time). Being able to convert my fingerprint to my passwords for websites, school email/websites, banks, ect would be revolutionary!

EDIT: And, knowing Apple, the feature would be seamless and lag-free. So forget about the current ones on the market, they suck. If Apple's sucks too, you can be sure we wont see it.

11. cynics macrumors G3

I've actually have been preferring the S upgrades. I'm not to big into the hardware aspect but I enjoy how future proofed the 4S has been. While the 4 didn't get all the software the 4S did the 4S has everything (software wise) the 5 has.

I'm hoping the same applies to the 5S. And it stays up to date for 2 years again.

12. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

This is very true as well, I actually have zero clue how apple will be storing our fingerprints or how that whole process will work. There's sure a lot to be answered, but without all the ins and outs, I believe those are relevant uses. Now its Apple's job to explain to us why its safe and sell us on their idea.

13. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Actually no one knows how many want it or not, so at this point no one can say it's only a minority of people that want it. No reliable poll of the iphone/ipad customers has been taken yet, but for me, it can be useful while others may not.

14. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Multiple quick-toggles or shortcuts depending on the finger used (each finger has a different print).

Say I wanted to check the weather and my iPhone was locked - I could set my thumb print to unlock and go straight to weather with one tap.

I really don't know. A fingerprint scanner sounds gimmicky, though I know I hate entering my 4 digit passcode 1000 times a day - would be nice if my iPhone just read my fingerprint when I pressed the home button.

Point of my example is - there are likely scenarios that none of us have thought of. Therefore we should wait before passing it off as a gimmick.

15. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well generally that's how it works; I would also much rather be on the S cycles than the regular #s but because of my original purchase and my unwillingness to wait a year after my contract is up for the next release, I stick with the non-S. While going from the non-S to S is beneficial in many ways its just not worth it to some people :[

16. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Eh, I decided I didn't need the additional screen real-estate as it was implemented with the iPhone 5 before it was announced. I was right. :p

part of the fun about rumors, especially on a rumor site is discussing them, no? :)

18. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

Personally I think it does hurt. It's added space in the phone that could be put to better use like maybe battery size or better antenna or several other things that people actually use.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't want a fingerprint scanner on my phone.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You must've never tried to log on to a mobile banking app. Mine is username, submit, password, submit, security question, submit. Bah. I'm assuming with a fingerprint scanner that I could open the app, scan my finger and then be in the banking part if the programming was done right.

It also helps much more with securing your phone. If it's set to unlock only to your finger, it's going to be much harder for someone to steal your data. As others have mentioned, passcodes can be guessed or cracked. Cracking a fingerprint is MUCH harder.

21. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

yes don't want my biometric data on Apple US-servers. NSA and others are watching us..

22. cynics macrumors G3

It will still need an alternate means of entry in case the scanned finger can not be used.

So while maybe convenient its only as secure as it was prior to the scanner.

23. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

24. cynics macrumors G3