Why do you reject Christianity?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jwolf6589, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Just a question. Why do you reject God and the Bible? Given all the books written to defend Christianity why would a skeptic reject Christianity? Even if you do not like to read apologists like Ravi Zacharias, Lee Strobel and others have messages. Hence even the movie a Case For Christ exists for those who hate to read.

2. Mac'nCheese, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I have yet see a single logical science based shred of truth that Christianity is true. I have seen tons to disprove the Bible in terms of science and morals. My question would be to you, how can you believe in Christianity with all the Proof against it. But it’s your thread so I’m going to see if that movie is on Netflix and I will give you my honest opinion.

Checked. It’s not a documentary. It’s fiction. Literally everything could be made up. Any documentaries you would suggest (Netflix streaming would be great)

3. Rum_Becker macrumors regular

Same reasons that I reject the Jedi religion as they are both works of fiction.

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

God and the Bible can't be proven scientifically. People have tried and put a lot of work into it - I've read their books. But Christianity is based on faith - faith in things not proven or seen. This flies in the face of a lot of people today because those with intelligence usually base things they "believe" by proving they exist via the scientific method and what not. Just because someone tells me they're a green lizard doesn't mean I'm going to believe they're a green lizard unless I can prove it.

Another reason is that the premise for Christianity is that we are sinners and are in need of a savior. Jesus, being that savior, came down to earth to pay the penalty for our sins (punishment for sin is death) so that we could go to heaven if only we confess our sins and ask for forgiveness. Part of being a Christian is giving up your life here on this earth to live it for God (being selfless, loving others as more than yourself, giving up fleshly desires, etc...).

I think these are probably the biggest two reasons people reject Christianity. The inability to prove it with science and the fact that a lot of people don't see themselves in need of a savior. Even the Bible says that it (Christianity) is mere foolishness to the world (the unsaved).

I don't reject Christianity, but figured I'd give my $.02 why most do from what I've seen. I think religious people are generally/usually nice people who try to do better for the world and others.

5. jwolf6589, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Watch the movie. It’s got allot of facts in it. It’s actually the story of his life so it’s not fiction this is a false claim.

6. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

True Christianity is based on faith and ultimately the Holy Spirit grants faith and repentance to His elect. HOWEVER there is also allot of facts to backup the faith. Some books for you to read.

The Reason for God-Tim Keller
    More than a Carpenter-Josh McDowell

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I think Christianity like every other religion is a faith based on fiction born in a time when very little available knowledge was open to the masses. I don’t condemn people for choosing to believe in it but I would appreciate it if theses beliefs did not interfere with mine and my families lives.

It’s the 21st century and now more than ever we have a wealth of information at our fingertips. I think religion is struggling to reach out to my generation and those younger and I can’t say I think that’s a bad thing. People are a lot more liberal, accepting and forgiving than they used to be and I’m all for that.

8. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Man is not good and man is in need of a savior. Let’s do a test.

Have you ever lied or stolen anything before? Have you ever used Gods name in vain?

If so you have broken the 10 commandments and are to be sentenced to Gods prison called Hell. You break His laws and you get prison. On earth you break the law and you get prison.

9. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

It takes faith to please God yes.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed - once you become "saved" you accept the Holy Spirit who then works to counter the sinful "flesh" (your body). This allows you to see the Bible for what it really is and sin less and less.

Thanks for the book list.

I think a book that I've found most interesting is this one:
    The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief
    by Francis S. Collins

https://www.amazon.com/Language-God...528652745&sr=8-1&keywords=the+language+of+god

11. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Let me ask you this question...

Why do you feel like you need to force your beliefs onto others? Why do you think in a secular country that YOUR religion should be used to govern everyone. Why choose a job that will put you in constant conflict of your beliefs and think you should be able to not do your job because of it( like a pharmacist denying birth control due to religious beliefs)? Live your life the way you want to without interfering with my life and I will live my life the way I choose to without interfering with your life.

13. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

A little wisdom for you:

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

The only people I am interested in pleasing are my wife and children. Worrying about pleasing a fictional character and living in fear because of it just does not interest me in the slightest.

You just have to love your life the way you see fit and if you need guidance and structure that you can’t get from those around you, then religion is fine. We only get one chance at life and I intend to enjoy it.

15. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

"Given all the books written to defend Christianity"
    You mean those books written to validate what you already believe in?
    Sure I can also use the argument that there are many books that defend Atheism and vice versa and it doesn't make it true, if a "God" is real then which one is it? How do we know from over 4.200 religions in the world which on is the "true god"? Think about it.

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I absolutely love this quote. Hah! Thanks!

17. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Doesn’t this consist of the Old Testament? When Christians throw this out in the open, it turns nonbelievers off. When Christians spread the word of Gods love and the story of Jesus, people tend to get hooked.

18. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Pick one of the books to read as I have both. Let’s dissect it. I guarantee they will challenge you to think and consider Christianity.

19. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

"God loves everyone equally" Terms and conditions Apply

20. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Couldn't have said it better myself. The greatest way to witness is to love. Kinda defines Jesus' life here on earth - healing the sick, feeding the poor, washing feet, etc...

21. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Agreed, and the terms and conditions is free will.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

But I won’t know what part is fiction and what part is supposed to be the truth.
    And some other Christian here said you don’t go to hell if you break the ten comments. Which Christian do I listen to? See the problem. Two mathematicians won’t disagree on math. Do you really believe in hell fire? And that for one lie you will burn for eternity? That’s quite a harsh punishment for a loving god to give to his children don’t you think?

23. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Not true. Books written to refute atheist arguments and prove Christianity. Books written for skeptics.

24. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Sure :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2018 ---
    Completely the opposite of what you just said, you should research a bit more if not study, it'll help you out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.