Why does Apple (and other phone manu.) suck at preparing for a phone release??!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmmtastybusch, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

They KNOW when they release a phone there's going to be hundreds of millions of buyers. So why is it every time they release a new phone they don't have enough made? It's been two months since iPhone 4s release and STILL they are back-ordered on new orders. Why? Are they purposely doing it to create a hype?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

We don't have replicators like they do on Start Trek.

Everything has to come from somewhere. You have to have components, workspace, people, and time. Every single one of those is a finite resource that dozens of other companies are fighting over. It would be cool if they were infinite, but alas, the world doesn't work that way.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/27...lion-to-boost-iphone-production-capabilities/

3. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely understandable, but I'm just saying they should plan for this. They obviously didn't have that much inventory set back

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You don't think they plan for it?!? Of course they do. But unless they push back the release date (which is a bad idea), there is only so much manufacturing capacity. They can't magically just make more.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, my question is, why do that?

So the 4S came out in October, and people have been buying it since then.

You're saying they should have kept all those phones in warehouses and just waited until January to start selling them.

What does Apple gain from that? How is that better for the consumer? Everyone who is out there using a 4S right now would have to just let their phone sit untouched in a warehouse for 4 months.

Who does that benefit? I really don't see any advantage to it.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

They made millions of the 4S before it was released. People complain about how long it takes to release each new version of the phone. If they held off releasing it until they had enough to meet all demand (which is extremely difficult to gauge, anyways) it would be MUCH longer between release cycles.

7. SporkLover macrumors 6502

So should apple ramp up manufacturing capacity in order to produce millions more so every consumer can have instant gratification, and they possibly have a future excess capacity problem?

Or should they extend the ramp up manufacturing period and pay storage for the millions of extra devices?

There is difficulty in predicting consumer demand, and finding the right balance of manufacturing capacity to meet demand. No one wants excessive amounts of excess manufacturing capacity. Still, FoxConn has been increasing manufacturing capacity, and will double their capacity over the next year or so.

8. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Gee whiz, 18m is the longest cycle I could imagine in this day and age, and then they release the same identical phone with a couple tweeks.

I totally agree with you on how hard it is to try an gauge an approximate number of devices to make before a launch, and if I were the one in charge, I'd rather run out of devices, than have millions sitting in warehouses unused, diluting my profits -

9. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

All I was saying is that if this happens EVERY TIME don't you think they would work on getting some more manufacturing facilities, etc. But from the link under the OP, it looks like they're doing that.

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm not even going to get into the whole "it's the same iPhone" conversation. That doesn't belong in this thread.

But to the original question, to have enough on hand to satisfy expected demand for the first 2 or 3 months after release...they'd be holding a huge number in warehouses, unused, just like you said. Waiting until they had enough stockpiled. Pushing the release date out even farther. At this point, there's not very many people having a difficult time getting a 4S. The vast majority of people that want them are able to get them, so I don't think it's really that big of an issue.

11. M Quick, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

While they ARE in fact building more factories the best they can but you need to remember that samsung and other companies are also a part of the process as they are manufacturing critical parts too.

And as always no one ever knows how good a new device is going to sell, not even apple and they are at least smart enough to not waste producing phones that are not going to be sold! The profit would go down very much by doing it your way, it's simply not worth it for anyone.

However where do you live? In the US? I'm sure you must have an apple store nearby if so. Just go to apples site and order one! Then go to the store and pick it up at opening time, that's how two of my friends did when they went to NY a couple of weeks ago and they had no problem doing this..

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

13. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

You shouldn't be too concerned with their preparation capabilities.

I don't think Apple has become the worlds most valuable company, without having talented people taking care of everything related to product launch preparation.
    On top of that they've got an army of shareholders creating even more pressure on the employees.

14. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I think that it's because they're just not very bright, and they fly by the seat of their pants. I'm sure that planning doesn't enter their minds. ;)

15. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

I've actually had one since the beginning of November, but Verizon won't let me activate it until they are readily available for customers! lol it sucks! I'm using a Droid Pro with a shattered screen and looking at a brand new albeit useless iPhone 4s sitting in front of me

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

What? There's lots of people on Verizon using the 4S.

17. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

That just doesn't sound right.. why would they even give you the phone if you couldn't use it in a couple of days? Never heard of anything like this.

18. SporkLover macrumors 6502

When is Verizon's magic line in the sand for employees?

Sounds like a carrier policy and problem, not apples. I check regularly and all of the carrier stores (too include vzw) I walk into have iPhone 4s regularly available.

19. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

That's BS. I bought one a week ago and have using since the minute I walked out of the store. I work with 3 people who jumped from iPhone AT&T to iPhone 4 Verizon over Christmas.

I think hes being sarcastic.

To the OP, where do you live. I decided one night, in my recliner after my Galaxy S went nuts for the last time, at that moment I was done with Droid, I picked up the phone, called best buy, they said they had several in stock, I said hold a White 16g 4s Verizon to the side I'll be there in 45 min and walked in, it was there waiting.

They are available......but I don't know where you live. If you are writing from a hut on the Serengeti, I guess its tough for you LOL.

20. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

No I forgot to mention I'm on an employee line, that's why.
    They're still back-ordered for almost all of Verizon's outlets right now. And no they don't even have an activation date yet! It's driving me crazy haha

21. SporkLover macrumors 6502

It's not really an availability issue. He either is a family member and on an employees plan, or he is a vzw employee. Sprint and VZW arbitrarily drew a line in the sand, making highly desirable devices unavailable to folks on these plans, until the high paying customers have had a chance to buy them.

They don't want the employees holding back devices for themselves, when they can get more money(non-employee plan) right away from regular customers.

I believe sprint will finally allow iPhones on employee plans in jan.

22. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

Yeah, cleared it up for us, he posted right before you.
    Thats makes sense. Id be pissed if I couldn't buy one because of them. And I tried 8 Verizon stores and they all said they had none. But best buy did so Im happy.

23. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I have a buddy who works at Sprint and they're going to be available for activation Jan. 9th. Verizon still won't give me a date!

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if A.) I was informed before I bought the phone (that part was my account manager's fault, he didn't forward the email letting us know) or B.) I didn't have a broken phone with a brand new one sitting right here!! lol I'm soooo ready to be done with this droid pro

24. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Apple sold 4 million phones in one weekend for preorders, they managed to ship, so people had them in their hands on launch day...I don't think this signifies poor planning in any way!

25. takeshi74, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try thinking about it for a bit. It makes no financial sense for any manufacturer to have the extremely excessive manufacturing capability required to meet initial demand as that demand always tapers off. Try considering things from viewpoints other than your tunnel visioned and self centered perspective. It's not all about you -- or any consumer with a sense of entitlement for that matter.

Do you have any idea how much capital investment is required for the manufacturing facilities and everything else that they entail? Everything seems simple to the blissfully ignorant. If it made financial sense they would do it. The number just don't add up they way you're thinking because you're not considering the entire picture. You're just thinking "I can't get what I want". There's far more to it than your oversimplified view of the matter.