Why does Apple decide to stay with a small screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Coldsnow, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Coldsnow macrumors regular

Why is Apple retaining the small screen size when Android users get the luxury of indulging a big screen?

What's the point? And why are people saying it's going to boost sales?

Don't iPhone users also want a bigger screen?? Is there something I'm missing? :confused:

2. smoothisfast macrumors member

I find Android phones to be too wide for comfortable one handed operation.

3. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

Because your thumb can touch anywhere on the screen without moving your hand as much as you would on a larger display.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

^^^ yup ... gotta fit in one hand to be useful :cool:

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

How is it "small" if it is still going to be a bigger screen? So it is tall instead of wide, at least we're still getting a bigger screen. I think once you play around with it, it'll be fine. If the keyboard is an issue, turn the phone sideways.

6. NismoRoadster macrumors regular

NismoRoadster

Please don't bring back those cholo baggy pants with big pockets just to hold a giant phone. Please please don't.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No, they're just more comfortable, and can hold a lot more stuff in addition to your phone.

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Bigger screens mean more power consumption, which would need bigger batteries with higher capacities.

9. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yeah, you're missing the fact that a bigger screen demands a bigger device. Many people don't want that because it would be less comfortable to operate and carry. Fortunately, Apple is of the same mindset. For now at least.

10. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

11. Twixt macrumors 6502

women's small hands?

----------

bigger screen means bigger form factor id est opportunity to have bigger battery... so your argument is wrong

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You know, given that Apple is pushing voice recognition via Siri, the one-handed argument about the small screen size seems less and less reasonable to me as time goes by. If I can, I use Siri to dictate rather than typing. So much easier and quicker for me. Thus I'd like to see a larger screen.

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Jobs declared the current screen the "sweet spot" for mobile phones.

I suspect their research indicates overwhelming support for the current screen size.

14. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

If you want bigger screen then buy hdtv adapter for your iphone and display it on 60 inch screen viola!

Seriously, i hope apple sticks to the current screen size of iphone as it is perfect for 1 hand operation.

15. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

Simple, it's a phone! If you want a tablet, buy one.

16. wouwout macrumors member

I can understand some people like smaller screens. However I would like to have choice. I'd immediately buy a 4.5" iphone and leave Android. And have a 3.5" and 4" iPhone for people who prefer mobility.

Macbooks have screen sizes ranging from 11" to 17". Why is Apple so anal about the iPhone's screen size? Get some clever scaling solutions in iOS. It jus doesn't make sense anymore to not have choice.

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Most people here will say it is because "it's the perfect screen size" because at some point in the previous decade it was the perfect balance between power consumption and usability. They'll also say that Steve Jobs thought it was the best screen size, and thus there is no space for improvement.

I'd argue, however, that they settled with a 3.5" display because - in 2007 - it was expensive to produce these kind of displays. The bigger, the more expensive it is. I'd also argue that, at the time, they simply weren't able to ship an iPhone with a bigger display (GPU requirements, power requirements, costs).

That limit (GPU requirements, power requirements, costs) is now gone. However, we now have an App Store with hundreds of thousands of apps. You simply can't ignore all those apps.

And the smaller the display, the more money they'll make. A 4.3" display will cost them more money than a 4.2" display. And a 4.2" display will cost more money than a 4.1" display. etc.

Also, it has nothing to do with size. The rumoured 4-inch display for the next-generation iPhone, could easily fit in the current iPhone 4S' design. It would look like this:

[​IMG]
    Light grey: 3.5". Light + dark grey: rumoured 4-inch display

Edit:
    Heck, even a 4.5" 1280 x 720 (720p HD) display could theoretically fit in the current iPhone 4S.

[​IMG]

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There have been plenty of opportunities to increase the screen size since 2007, and Apple has passed over each of them.

I doubt cost is even part of the equation.

19. cariduros macrumors newbie

I hate the phones with bigger screens. They're too large and I can't operate them with one hand. The market is there for people that crave the larger screens and they can enjoy the droids. I prefer the smaller one that fits into my front pocket that has better battery life.

20. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I ended up switching to my Galaxy Nexus because I wasn't happy with the battery life on my 4S and I wanted a bigger screen with more resolution. At this point, it's more than obvious that Apple is the leader in mobile phones and after having a 'droid for a month I'll still give the overall nod to the iPhone. It seems reasonable that they would have more than one model of the iPhone at this point (beyond carrier and memory capacity) just as other phone manufactures give different options. I would certainly be pre-ordering the 5 if it bumped in both directions and went to a 1280x720 (or 800) resolution.

There is a market for larger screen phones. The GNex is quite confortable in my pocket and in my hand but I do have fairly big hands.... again, some size model variation would be a nice thing to see. Perhaps it goes against Apple's marketing model to have multiple models, but I do think there is a market out there for significantly larger screened iPhones (more than just a length bump). Anyway, wish in one hand.... right? ;)

21. gpatrick15, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

gpatrick15 macrumors regular

The Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65" screen, and it is in no way less comfortable to hold than any other phone. I've had the iPhone 4 with a 3.4" screen, the Nexus One with a 3.7" screen, the Inspire 4G with a 4.3" screen and the Galaxy Nexus with the aforementioned 4.65" screen. All of those phones are pretty comfortable to hold. Apple doesn't have to go out and make a giant Note sized phone, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for them to make a phone with a 4" screen or a 4.3" screen. And you guys would buy it anyway. If Apple were to make a phone with a larger, Retina quality screen, the whole forum would collectively crap their pants in excitement.

22. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

how big do you want your phone to be? just to put a bigger battery in a bigger phone just to have a bigger screen. seriously??

23. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You doubt cost is part of the equation? Apple is all about maximizing profits. We're talking here about a company that settled with 256 MB of RAM for the first generation iPad because 512 MB of RAM would cost them $0.50 more.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There are probably multiple sweet spots in this regard. Also, people's opinions change as they come to grips with technology. I'd be willing to bet the more that somebody uses there smart phone, the larger the screen they wish for.

25. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I like the size of my 4S. A little bigger would be ok. I'm fine with the rumored size of the next iPhone. Too large and I'd have to pass.

I used to own a Droid Pro and that, too, was a nice size. I believe it is a little bigger than the iPhone.

And, I agree apple could add a larger phone to their line up. I gotta believe they have looked at it. Maybe their research showed that adding a larger phone wouldn't bring in enough additional buyers to cover costs. You know, not simply just split the existing customer base between the two options.