Why does Apple release products in countries whos language they dont support

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kvnkvnkvn, Jan 4, 2012.

1. kvnkvnkvn macrumors member

This has occurred with the release of the iPhone and the iPhone 4s. When the iPhone came out it was released in countries they spoke other languages than it support and in the present with the iPhone 4s Siri is only supported in a few languages but the phone has been released on is being released in places where people spoken languages it doesn't not support.

Why not just hold off release until it can support the native language

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Siri is a feature, not a product. I assume you're talking about China here, but the iPhone supports multiple Chinese languages in the keyboard and OS. Siri doesn't, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would rather have a Siri-less phone instead of no iPhone at all.

3. kvnkvnkvn thread starter macrumors member

I was talking about the first iPhone and it was released all over the mideast when it did not support Arabic at the time.

Siri is one of the many points of the iPhone 4s except for slight increases and beside the new 64GB model. Many of the countries already had the iPhone 4. Brazil got the iPhone 4s a few weeks ago and Siri does not support Brazilian Portuguese.

Why not just hold off a few weeks or months to have everything work.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

First iPhone was NOT released in the middle east. It was released in US in 2007. Then later United Kingdom, France, Germany, Republic of Ireland, and Austria. None of those countries are based in the middle east.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The world doesn't exactly revolve around the middle easy (or does it? :p ) and it would have taken more than a few weeks/months to have everything in arabic. I'm guessing they first sold in markets that seemed most profitable to them ... hence developing a english, spanish, french, german, etc version first.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The rest of the world doesn't speak English? Huh, I never knew....

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Let me guess... the OP has never stepped foot in a business class of any sort.

"Yes I understand Mr. CEO that we will likley sell millions of these in country XYZ-- regardless of what I'm about to say... but I'm worried that we should maybe hold off becuase that one little feature that's still in beta isn't supported in their native language"

:facepalm:

8. salacious macrumors 6502a

There was me think that English, french, deutch, Dutch, and Spanish were second languages all over the world??

9. kvnkvnkvn thread starter macrumors member

Actually I have take several business classes; Business Law, Business Ethics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Entrepreneurship Development etc.

10. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

Siri is in beta and it will probably add more languages as time goes on.

11. kvnkvnkvn thread starter macrumors member

Actually no; of the 196 countries almost none speak German and Dutch. English, French and Spanish are common languages but all or a majority of the worlds 6+ billion population do not speak them and not all people learn second languages.

----------

My mistake; the iPhone 3G

12. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Good for you.

Apple makes millions and million of dollars off of the iPhone, so they are going to sell it in as many places as possible, ie. where the OS supports that language. Since Siri is a feature, and many people speak English, French, or German, those were good languages for A BETA. And according to apple:
    so this will become a non-issue later.

13. kvnkvnkvn thread starter macrumors member

I understand it is in beta but it was still discussed heavily during the keynote making it one of the main additions over the previous version then to not have it available for all places the device was released. They should have just not spoke of it until fully developed or let it be a surprise in the devices which languages it supported.

14. 808? macrumors 6502a

There are not mentioning Siri for the official launch next week of the iPhone 4s in the China market (the biggest), so it is not an issue for most.

You can be sure the queues for the 4s in China will be very long regardless of Siri or not.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Siri is only a feature and at the moment it might not support all languages it is still in beta.

16. callum23 macrumors member

Haha hes definitely got no clue

----------

Did you ever think that people might not use Siri? or they might have learnt English or another language Siri supports, you got rocks in ya head?

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

18. vanboi macrumors newbie

The keynote was given in English, not in Arabic, aiming at English speaking audience, which Siri fully supports. You only have a case when there is an ad/keynote in your language that advertises Siri.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

¿qué

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

When I read your post, I thought you were just a bit naïve. But it seems you didn't listen in your business classes. Since there is a massive black market for iPhones in many countries whose language isn't supported (most of the queues in US stores being caused by scalpers who buy the products and ship to Asia at a profit), not selling to those countries when there is evidence for massive demand would be rather idiotic.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

calling BS on the above in bold.

...sorry...

I had a LOT of fun in undergrad... A LOT... and still took away basic economic concepts from my micro and macro classes (I took a 3rd econ class as well and I'm not sure why cause I don't like econ).

22. salacious macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

To the op, of the languages I listed, a majority of countries do have second languages, dunno what school you went to but in this day and age even africans in poor countries learn English!! And in Saudi where my friend is from he learnt English and French as standard? In turkey english is the second language to learn, in holland English is the second language, in canada they speak French, in Eritrea Italian and Arabic are second languages!! If your suggesting countries like Hawaii or something then you need to take a break from your virtual reality and take the red pill.. You will find the truth once your there

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually, when I travelled to the middle east in 07, I had no problem finding English speaking native buyers for iPhones.

The jailbreak software store (I think Installer, this is before Cydia) had Arabic support packages that they can install easily.

24. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Turn it around. Why not release it now, since there are clearly buyers eager to snap it up even though it doesn't support their native language?

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My local grocery store sells coca cola from Mexico. It's delicious. It is made with real sugar rather than this corn BS. Unfortunately the label is all in Spanish. I guess I shouldn't be drinking it since I only have a very minimal understanding of the language. To think, I have been doing it wrong all this time. :eek: