Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csilvia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island
So...

I was one of the many that woke up early this morning, 3am EST, to preorder my iPhone X. I ordered a 256gb Silver At&t iPhone X with 2 to 3 weeks shipping, putting the delivery between November 17th and 24th.

I woke up about an hour ago, went on Best Buy, and they have the same configuration available for in-store pick-up on November 10th, so I ordered that one too and plan to cancel my Apple store order.

Why does this happen? Best Buy had better delivery dates when I purchased my iPhone 7+ too! I was told it was because it was a big box chain store, and they had better deal with suppliers, but is that really it?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The have their own supply chain agreement with Apple. I have observed many times where Apple is out and BestBuy has stock.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Not sure. It was showing November 3rd nearly 2 hours after preorders opened. I guess the $100 markup turned people away. Of course you can get that fixed.

Reactions: sberdes

dmontopoli

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
So...

I was one of the many that woke up early this morning, 3am EST, to preorder my iPhone X. I ordered a 256gb Silver At&t iPhone X with 2 to 3 weeks shipping, putting the delivery between November 17th and 24th.

I woke up about an hour ago, went on Best Buy, and they have the same configuration available for in-store pick-up on November 10th, so I ordered that one too and plan to cancel my Apple store order.

Why does this happen? Best Buy had better delivery dates when I purchased my iPhone 7+ too! I was told it was because it was a big box chain store, and they had better deal with suppliers, but is that really it?

Best Buy shipping dates have been known to slip after orders have been placed:
https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/14/best...ries-2-release-date-to-september-28-for-most/

Reactions: projectfx

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Not sure. It was showing November 3rd nearly 2 hours after preorders opened. I guess the $100 markup turned people away. Of course you can get that fixed.

Yeah... what a strange thing to do.

Maybe Best Buy is thinking "people will pay $100 extra to get the phone a few weeks earlier than everyone else..."

I wonder how that will work out for 'em...

csilvia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island

madgalaxy

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
The $100 markup is only if you buy outright. Carrier financed is the same price as Apple. BB has always down this with alot of their phones, but sure why.

I had a terrible time ordering from the Apple App, so I had to revert to Apple.com and my Black/64gb ship date is Nov 17-24. I was mad because I will be out of town that week, so I looked at BB and they had the Silver/64gb in stock for Nov 3, so I ordered there too. I am going to chew on it for a couple days and cancel one of them. I would rather have black, but I usually always have a case/dbrand on it.

csilvia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island
The $100 markup is only if you buy outright. Carrier financed is the same price as Apple. BB has always down this with alot of their phones, but sure why.

I had a terrible time ordering from the Apple App, so I had to revert to Apple.com and my Black/64gb ship date is Nov 17-24. I was mad because I will be out of town that week, so I looked at BB and they had the Silver/64gb in stock for Nov 3, so I ordered there too. I am going to chew on it for a couple days and cancel one of them. I would rather have black, but I usually always have a case/dbrand on it.

But the $100 mark up can be fixed at the time of pick up if you ask for price matching - I'm sure they assume that many people are going to do this!

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I'm trying to order from Best Buy but it's telling me that Verizon is declining my upgrade! There are no issues with my account so I don't understand what's going on...

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
I ordered from Best Buy at full retail price and my order says model MQA52LL/A, but is that model A1865 or A1901? My AT&T line is paid by my employer, but I own the device. Is this phone going to come SIM free? Do I just put in my AT&T sim before booting?

psnick

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2005
So...

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered 256GB Silver (AT&T), and estimated date for in-store pickup is showing as November 10.

csilvia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island
Thanks for the tip! Just ordered 256GB Silver (AT&T), and estimated date for in-store pickup is showing as November 10.

Glad it worked out!

I figure, even if Best Buy pushes the date back a week, I will get a $50 credit, and will still get my phone before Apple plans on shipping it from the factory - it's essentially a win-win!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.