Why does "erase all content and settings" not erase all content and settings?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user-name-here macrumors 65816

So I got my 5s today but of course the Best Buy rep got her grubby hands on it and clicked yes on a bunch of stuff at the beginning setup before I could say anything.

So later I wanted to reset my phone and start completely fresh so I click "erase all content and settings."

The phone goes through the reset process and I start to set it up again only to find out things like the weather app still has my city preferences I set up and safari still has my old bookmarks before I did the erase :confused:

I'm confused, I though erase all content and settings actually erased ALL content and settings :rolleyes:

I wonder what other information is being left on the phone after an erase (fingerprints perhaps? safari passwords?) :eek:

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I just checked my iPhone 4 and 4s that I'm selling and everything has been erased. No issues here.

3. eekcat macrumors 6502a

Maybe it pulled all of that down from icloud, or form a backup upon the initial setup?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

After you erased all contents and settings and the phone reset and ran you through the setup again, did you sign back into iCloud during the setup piece?

AFAIK, erase all contents and settings removes the encryption key, which makes all of the data on the encrypted storage unreadable.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mod note:
    OP received his answer, therefore thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.