Why does everyone hate on Fox News?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by matbook101, Aug 21, 2011.

1. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

I watch them sometimes and they seem fine. So, why does everyone hate on them?

2. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

that depends who you ask. I'll hate on bill o'reilly because he's a moron. it all depends on your political views.

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Well lets see....They lie. They make up stories. They manipulate stories. They are incredibly bias. Their interviews are a joke. They never let the person being interviewed speak.

I cannot stand them. They are not helping the situation by making people wet themselves with fear over ridiculous conspiracies.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Haha! If you read FoxNews' website, I guess what's going on in Libya is a lie, right? Maybe that person who was shot in the stomach at the 49rs game in San Fran was a lie, too, right?

You people kill me, man. At least FoxNews employs liberal hosts. How many conservative hosts are employed at MSNBC or CNN? Zero.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

they manipulate uneducated audiences for their own greed driven agendi

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

10. matbook101 thread starter macrumors 6502

matbook101

Source/Proof?

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Perhaps because instead of reporting the news, they want to be the news.

12. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

13. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

We watch Fox News as a drinking game at school sometimes. Any time they grossly misinform the viewers and we can prove they have, we take a drink. (don't worry, we aren't huge nerds, we just do it during ritual which is Tuesday afternoon drinking) :p.

In all honesty though, it is very easy to see why educated people hate on Fox News, and uneducated people watch it. Consider the following report from the Project for Excellence in Journalism. An independent group that seeks to find the most factually accurate newscasts in the US. Of course Fox News came out on the bottom in almost every category, the most important being factual accuracy.

Educated folks see this blatant misinformation of the viewers and laugh, while the typically (statistically speaking) non-university educated republican gorilla that is the typical Fox News viewer, finds the dumbed down misinformation easier to understand.

Add to that that the news cast is so widely skewed to the Republican view it's difficult to watch for any actual sort of news. I'm at a Canadian university right now, and the general consensus is that if you watch Fox News, you are literally an idiot. I guess people don't want to be associated with that image. In tutorials, any time we want to reference the uninformed American voting public, we also say "the people who watch Fox News".

I think you guys would be very much surprised to see how much a joke Fox News is outside of the States.

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Does it get harder to determine misinformation as you get more drunk? :cool:

16. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

I don't mind watching them. I make it a point to not just one network though because they all have their biases.

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

if you have to ask, you'll probably never know

all you have to do is watch a few episodes of the daily show with john stewert for all the hard core proof you'll ever need

18. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

19. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

Al jazeera English is where it's at. And I'm a republican. But I can't stand the lies, the half truths, and the flat out twisting of reality. I'm not a big fan of any US news outlet honestly but I think Fox is a bit worse than many of the others.

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Here's a study showing that among various news consuming groups, Fox News viewers had the worst understanding of current affairs issues at the beginning of the war in Iraq. These same viewers, who had a poor understanding of what was going on, were also in stronger support of the Iraq war than people who got most of their news from other sources.

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/international_security_bt/102.php

Or another poll showing Fox viewers had relatively poor knowledge, vs CNN and MSNBC viewers, of the healthcare reform situation:

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8148.pdf

Or another poll showing Fox views believed more false rumors about the 'ground zero mosque' than people who got their news from NPR or CNN:

http://www.comm.ohio-state.edu/kgarrett/MediaMosqueRumors.pdf

So, to me, Fox is a 'news' network that—in its mission to promote conservative values—fails to provide sufficient information to its viewers, which, ultimately, I feel is the biggest strike against it.

21. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Here's some examples of FoxNews' lies. Outright lies.

Attached Files:

22. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Actually, people that watch FoxNews know that not one person in Congress actually read the bill, as said so by miss bulging eyes herself when she was Speaker of the House, plus people that watched FoxNews knew that after others read some of the details, you were going to me mandated under penalty by the IRS to purchase a health care insurance policy.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

sk1wbw, what's the point of your last two posts? I've reread both, but I honestly have no idea of what point you're trying to make.

24. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Um... what?