Why does everyone hate the smaller dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMichael!, Sep 13, 2012.

1. iMichael! macrumors regular

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Personally I like the new dock connector. It's long overdue.

I'm all for making the connector smaller if it frees up more room inside, which it has done.

It's not as if people with docks are going to be stuck, there's adaptors available to allow them to continue using them.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I dont hate it.....yet. I will have to see how it holds up. Thats the one thing i liked about the 30 pin connector. It fit snug into the phone and didn't wobble around like ordinary phone chargers that use micro-usb. I never had any problems with pins getting bent or the charger not working, which was a completely different story with old phones I had using micro usb.

Only time will tell, Apple may have constructed it very well.

----------

$29 adaptor....talk about a complete rip off. Thats probably a 2800% mark up.

4. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Mainly because everyone has docks and cords and other accesories laying around and they don't want to buy adapters or new ones which is understandable.

My girlfriend wants the iPhone 5 because she likes the new connector, she think it looks cool haha that's her main reason.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Thats her main reason? I'm dumbfounded.

6. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Could have been worse. Apple could have not brought any adaptors out at all, leaving people with no choice but to get new accessories, docks etc.

7. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

She could care less about LTE and a bigger screen and how many cores the processor has or how many megapixels the camera has. She thinks the black one looks cool and she likes the new connector she thinks it looks cool and she likes that you can't put it in wrong...I don't pretend to understand all of her thought processes.

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Now that would have been a d-ick move.

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

i love it. no wrong way of inserting it. "that's what she said." ;) and it's built solid unlike dinky micro-usb.

my other favorite tid-bit of the keynote is the EarPods.

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Lol, i loved how you just insulted her with this comment. I suggest you show it to her. :D

11. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I didn't insult her...not in the least bit she's sitting right next to me in bed and she already read it lol

12. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The lightning connector is good to me. I am looking forward to using it.

13. TinyBFK macrumors member

The 30 pin is like 10 years old. I'm surprised it lasted that long honestly. Look how many different USB connectors others have had like mini and micro USB. I think the 30 pin had a good run and I'm also glad they finally changed it. Hopefully this one will be the standard for a long time to come also.

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

That message certainly had a tone to it. lol

15. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i like it personally. Also have a cord for my car and a few in my house. plus ipad ones.
    i dont mind getting new adapters but i think ill just go with the cables. adapters looks meh.
    ill just wait for some company to make cables in black. since it looks much much better.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's an obnoxious cash grab that forces everyone to buy new accessories under the thinly-veiled guise of 'simplicity' and 'making it thinner.'

17. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

making it smaller was integral towards making iPhone 5 smaller

you're only complaint is the $29 adapter

18. janderson0719 macrumors 6502

janderson0719

I'm still trying to figure out its real purpose? :confused:

19. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Fumbling in the dark trying to plug an iPhone into a charging cable (Where there seems to be a 95% chance of getting it the wrong way round) I can think of no reason against the new dock lol

As for the adapter, yeah thats a ripoff for sure.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm actually impressed with the dock connector, it's been needed for a while. What I don't understand is why they feel it overrides the need for NFC and wireless charging. NFC is a highly promising technology, and the option for wireless charging won't hurt to include.

21. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

1. It messes up everyone's docks and compatibility with accessories.

2. It really doesn't serve a benefit to the end user unless I missed something. Is it faster at transferring files?

It doesn't bother me as I don't have any accessories that will need adapting.

22. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yes they will make money on the adapter - They are a business and the idea of a business is to make money for its shareholders.

"Forcing everone to buy new accessories" would be if they didnt bring out an adaptor at all. This way all your accessories will work without having to replace them all.

23. aircanman macrumors 6502

Personally I think the adaptor has been made like that so the aftermarket companies build a smaller one, it has been done on purpose.

I like the new connector, much easier.

24. skidbubble macrumors 6502

If it's called a lightning connector, then why was everyone here calling it a thunderbolt connector?

25. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

they're wrong

it is the lightening connector