Why does everyone knock Sprint???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrokeTechLover, Aug 24, 2012.

1. BrokeTechLover macrumors regular

Okay I get it,coverage maps are a little weak & customer service isn't the BEST,(but who's is? And their Internet service agents are FAR more helpful). But their prices and unlimited NON THROTTLED data roped in our family of 5,& in Baton Rouge Louisiana I've never experienced slow or unusable data speeds,even in the country parts. Will I be streaming Pandora with no buffering? Heck no,but I can load a web page pretty quick.

So I guess what I'm asking is why is Sprint always talked about so negatively compared to AT&T & VZW?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Because many people have experienced noticeably slower data speeds compared to ATT & VZW. It usually depends on the area you're in as to how well the service performs.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I had Sprint for 11 years. No complaints really.

Really depends on where you live.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depends on many variables, including location
    My company uses Sprint, and it is terrible
    I have much better service on my personal AT&T account

5. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Having Sprint actually makes me dislike my 4S a bit because the data speeds are generally so freaking slow. Like it's at the point that if there's no wifi around I don't even attempt to do anything data related anymore. I cannot wait until the new iPhone so I can switch carriers.

6. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

Coverage and speed! My sister's office went with all Sprint phones for a while. They even went to the extent of putting Sprint signal repeaters inside their buildings. I went to lunch with her at her office one day. We both pulled out our phones and started looking up information. My AT&T phone with only two bars was still much faster than her Sprint phone with a full strength signal.

Needless to say, those signal repeaters have since been pulled out and she is allowed to get any phone she wants, and it's not a Sprint phone. :p

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

You just said it yourself. I've never experienced buffering with Pandora on a cellular data connection (mostly AT&T 3G, sometimes strong 2G).

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, define "non throttled."

From what I've read AT&T throttled is not much different than Sprint's normal speeds. So in a way it would be fair to call Sprint "100% throttled," wouldn't 'it?

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I think sprint is a dark horse and once they get LTE advanced up and running they will be a force.

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I had Sprint for around three years and the data speeds just sucked. When I got my current job that gives a 20% on Verizon I dropped Sprint like a bad habit. Yes, it's unlimited but in most areas horribly slow. They are starting up LTE but it will take a long long time to catch up with Verizon. If you are a very heavy data user then they make sense. If you don't use a ton of data then it's not that big of a deal. I'd rather the data I do use to be fast than have unlimited available when I wouldn't take advantage of it. I have unlimited now and use around 1.5GB's a month. Say with LTE I use 4GB's. Double my wifes current usage and that would put as at 5GB's so I'd buy the 6GB plan. I'm still comfortable with that pricing on the shared plan with my discount compared to Sprint.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey if you're happy with them then use them.
    Not every location will be the same so if you're ok with their service at your area then its cool.

12. dewthedru macrumors regular

sprint is brutally slow on the 4s in chicago. when my wife and i are out in the city and she has to look something up, i just hand her my verizon 4s and it's literally 10x faster.

13. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Sprints 3g cdma network is atrocious. I live in the nyc metro area and a few co workers can't even load Web pages or can't stream music on their SGSIII or their Evo 4G lte devices. True you get unlimited data, but at what cost?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try to do this with Sprint's 3G.:)

Attached Files:

15. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Sprints 3g is equivalent to or less than AT&T EDGE speeds. Pretty pathetic. I ran a speed test on my co workers Evo 4G lte and all it could muster up was .30 up.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, so that is about equal to AT&T's throttled speeds:D

17. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Sprints native coverage hardly makes it a nationwide carrier. If you don't live along interstates or major metropolitan areas you're SOL in terms of signal coverage. The only way they get their customers around that is from roaming agreements with Verizon. If you want to see Sprints true network map go to Virgin Mobile USA and look at their map.

You might as well get Metro PCS if you're in their native coverage. Their rates are cheaper and they openly admit that their actual network only covers around six or seven metropolitan areas across the US. Everything else is on a roaming agreement.

18. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Reason I like like Sprint is because they don't care what you do, my friend received tethering notices left and right for only about 2gb.

I have gotten away with 21gb in one month without a notice, also the 27% discount helps a little too

19. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Sprint has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. I dealth with them on behalf of my girlfriend this week. Her iPhone wouldnt get calls 50% of the time. Nothing, no voicemail, no missed call notification or anything. I began calling Sprint last Friday, and called probably 5 or 6 more times. I was told that the towers were 100% functioning in our area, and that it must be a phone problem. So on there recommendation, I took my phone to Apple, and I was told by the genius that it was a service problem. I called back Sprint, was taken through the same process again, and told to go back to Apple. At that point I demanded a supervisor and got one. She told me that I would receive a call back within the hour from her manager. That call never came. Upon calling them back, a supervisor hung up on me, because I wouldnt take, "Our towers show no problem in your area," as an answer.

At that point I did some research, and emailed Dan@sprint.com. That is the actually CEO's email address. I sent a formal, yet pushy and frustrated message. I received an email back within 20 minutes, telling me to expect a call the following day. I did receive that call the following day, and I was told that she DOES see they are doing tower maintenence in the area. Funny since thats a complete contradiction of what I was told when I called customer service. It was at this point I lost it, and demanded to be let out of my contract without paying the ETF. She told me she would have to call me back. I received that call yesterday, and I proudly state that I was let out without an ETF. Perfect timing. Gonna go to Verizon, provide a phone, and then when the new iPhone comes out, use my contract upgrade.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

yeah but tethering at those speeds is depressing.

21. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I don't know, I have fine speeds in downtown NYC. Two tests I just ran. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345834194.191968.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345834206.529821.jpg

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Same here... 4S on Sprint for work with unlimited data... Yet, I always seem to use my personal phone which is a 4S on AT&T (or well it was till I gave it to my GF and took back my iPhone 4 to sell on eBay, I will be "trying" out the GS3 until the new iPhone comes out starting on Monday).

Sprint is so dreadful by comparison

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

are you serious? That is awful. On at&t with my iphone i get 6-8 down....

or i just got trolled :(

24. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

Im talking about for CDMA.. i know thta GSM is a good amount faster.

Average CDMA speed for sprint/verzion hovers around 1MB/s anyway.

25. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea, VZW and Sprint only give around 1 Mbps down when they are performing well from my understanding...

I usually get terribly low numbers on my sprint iPhone 4S