Why does GSM iPhone 6 work on CDMA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DirectorMan, Oct 5, 2014.

1. DirectorMan macrumors member

The specifications for the Verizon versions of the iPhone 6/Plus indicate that they will work on the GSM network, but the specifications for the U.S. GSM versions don't include CDMA. Why are device-only T-Mobile phones purchased at the Apple store working on Verizon's network?

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Because Apple lied and enabled the CDMA on all of them (at least in the US. I'm not sure if international models have an MEID)

3. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

Along those lines...my wife's theory is that Verizon paid Apple to exclude CDMA in the specs for the GSM phone. My theory is that Apple told AT&T that they wouldn't include CDMA in the listed specs for the GSM phone unless AT&T paid them a fee, which they presumably didn't. Either way, it all comes down to money, doesn't it? :D

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I think it might come down to streamlining their process. Now at the factories, they don't have to keep track of which boards are for CDMA and which aren't. They're all just the same, and each carrier gets a list of IMEIs that belong to them. They can also shift allocations much easier. If AT&T sees a reduction in demand and Verizon sees an increase, the unboxed AT&T phones can be reallocated to Verizon

Another benefit for Apple is the warranty replacement process. They no longer differentiate between AT&T, Verizon, and T-mobile models at the genius bar, and so they don't have to inventory 4 different carriers in white boxes (though I guess they still have to keep the Sprint phones distinct)

5. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

All of what you said makes sense to me. It just seems odd that they would purposely lie, especially when it took the user community all of 10 seconds to find out the truth.

I've read lots of reports of Verizon iPhone 6's working on AT&T and T-Mobile, and a growing number of reports of device-only T-Mobile phones working on Verizon and AT&T. Not as many reports on AT&T phones working on Verizon and T-Mobile, though. The bottom line is that I can go to an Apple store and buy the device-only version of any of these phones and it will work on those three networks without any missing functionality (VoLTE, VoWIFI, download speeds, etc.) as long as the carrier supports it, correct?

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's likely because most AT&T iPhones were bought thru Next or contract and are therefore locked to AT&T.