Why does iCloud not update my contacts between my devices?

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all,

I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro on one iCloud account and both have Contacts enabled. My understanding and previous experience is that iCloud should merge and sync contacts between my Mac and my iPhone.

Why isn't it doing this? I have toggled Contacts in iCloud settings on and off to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
It should. Things to try, look for:

- try logging out and in again on both devices
- make sure you have iCloud contacts checked off on both device views
- go to iCloud.com and sign in and make sure they are actually in iCloud

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Make sure you're only using contacts out of the cloud - not on your local Mac. Make sure iCloud has all of your contacts and nuke the local Mac contacts. See the left pane of contacts:

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 7.27.17 AM.png
All on My Mac should be empty (except maybe for duplicate accounts of yours that the system is using) Mine has my gmail account listed there.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Make sure you're only using contacts out of the cloud - not on your local Mac. Make sure iCloud has all of your contacts and nuke the local Mac contacts. See the left pane of contacts:

View attachment 726651
All on My Mac should be empty (except maybe for duplicate accounts of yours that the system is using) Mine has my gmail account listed there.
mine has always been icloud-only, but, a few days ago, contacts added on my mac weren't syncing to the cloud, altho a contact added on my phone showed up on icloud immediately. a half hour later, everything was working. just mentioning!

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
mine has always been icloud-only, but, a few days ago, contacts added on my mac weren't syncing to the cloud, altho a contact added on my phone showed up on icloud immediately. a half hour later, everything was working. just mentioning!
I think Apple actually made the change in Sierra...you had both address books available and there was syncing of them, but it was flakey - prone to problems. I think going to only using the iCloud contacts is the way to go. Heh...then, if you have multiple contact lists on multiple e-mail accounts, it only gets more fun. :) (stopped that too) :)