Why Does iMovie 6.0.4 Import HDV Flawlessly While FCP 6.0.1 Fails? Both Doing AIC.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Multimedia, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

So I start to import all my HDV footage into FCP 6.0.1 with the settings on AIC from HDV 1080i60 - Sony HC-7. All FCP will do it capture a few seconds before it makes a separate import file for a few more seconds then stops capturing after about a dozen of these short attempts. This is from a continuous footage source.

Then I give up and launch old reliable iMovie 6.0.4 and it captures the whole continuous shot roll of one hour first time no problem - also doing AIC automatically.

What gives? Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my FCP 6.0.1 settings that make it no good for importing HDV 1080i60 to AIC while iMovie 6.0.1 works perfectly?

I'm doing this on a Quad 2.66GHz mac pro with 5GB of RAM to a virgin 500GB WD HD. Thanks.

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

So if I'm reading this correctly, in FCP you're ending up with about a dozen short clips and then failure? Almost sounds like a timecode thing. Do the clips actually capture any footage or is it just blank?

3. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

Short Duration Content in FCP 6.0.1 Pieces, A Whole Hour In iMovie 6.0.4

They capture a second then another 4 seconds then another 6 seconds then another 1 second for about a minute then the whole thing stops capturing. iMovie no problem, captured the entire hour in one piece.

4. thefilmmaker91 macrumors newbie

Information is slim but here's a theory

Background: I've had this same issue. Originally I thought it was my camera acting up (Sony-A1J) but then I used the special "Professional Grade" HD miniDV tape and it I didn't have as many issues at all. Now, trying to import to FCP I'm having issues occasionally but not as frequently.

I have two ideas on this issue:
    1) Flaws in the tape make the timecode unrecordable and therefore during playback "blips" occur which FCP gets very mad at (timecode breaks). I say this is a tape issue because the blip occurs at the same point whenever played back.
    2) It's a Final Cut Pro issue. I'm testing your theory on using iMovie and it seems despite the errors it continues to capture. I think Final Cut Pro is just very very picky while iMovie will just keep recording no matter what (even when it has tape issues, which I can see in the occasional frame).

Hope this adds to your intel.