Why does iPhone take 30-40 second to boot and MBA takes 12 seconds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Oct 11, 2013.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I don't understand if both are using SSD or similar hard drive.

In this day and age. A cold boot MacBook Air loads so much faster than a cold boot iPhone.

Why?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Probably because the MBA has (at least) a dual-core Intel Core i5.

3. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

what he said

4. Partridge macrumors 6502

MacBooks use SSDs. iPhones actually do NOT use SSD class memory. They use much slower flash memory.

The iPhone memory is so slow that it can't even keep up with full rate USB2 much less USB3, which is why iPhones don't get a USB3 interface because that's not the bottleneck.

5. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The 5S boots up extremely quick. The first time I started it up, I turned it on, looked away for what felt like a second and looked back to realize it was already at the lock screen. Surprised the hell out of me, lol.

I am happy with how fast the 5S boots up, compared to my previous 4S. No complaints.

6. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Gotcha thanks.

I thought with the 64 bit iPhones A7 that it would help with the boot up time.

So the bottle neck is the hard drive or memory?

7. scaredpoet, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, the storage on iPhones (and most other mobile phones) has a slower read/write speed than the SSDs on the current MacBook Airs.

Also: iPhones generally aren't meant to be shut down. They just keep running as long as the battery remains charged.

Apple probably COULD get faster storage on the phones, but the price would probably be $100-$200 more expensive.

One other thing that could slow things down on the iPhone: the file system is encrypted. A MacBook Air running FileVault will also take longer to boot because of the encryption.

FYI: My iPhone 5S 64GB takes 28 seconds to boot.

8. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

You're kidding right? The Air has a faster CPU, faster storage, faster RAM, more RAM, and a faster bus to connect it all together. Your question is like asking why a fighter jet is faster than a poodle. Yes they both move, but beyond that they don't have much in common. The same is true for laptops and phones. They're botching computing devices, but they're so different that it does make sense to compare them.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I believe the NAND Flash memory in the iPhone is capable of read speeds of about 20 MB/s...about a quarter the speed of a quality SSD. Its write speeds are somewhere between 3 MB/s and 6 MB/s, depending on vendor...also about a quarter the speed of a quality SSD.

Of course everything else people have mentioned: RAM speed, bus speed, processor speed, encryption, etc., are also factors.

10. epphllps macrumors 6502

Why does iPhone take 30-40 second to boot and MBA takes 12 seconds

The 5S still boots pretty fast in comparison to my 5. Might just be me, but it definitely feels faster.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Your answer are all correct, but don't forget that iOS is much lighter than OSX to load ...

I think the main reason is that an iPhone is not intended to be switched off at all, so there is no optimization to speed up boot time on it.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Stop shutting off your phone. Problem solved.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

If you fly a lot you wind up turning it off a lot.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

Why ? I never turn my phone off when I fly as there is no need. All you have to do is put it in airplane mode.

15. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

airplane mode?

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

When I've been on airplanes they have always asked for devices to be off during takeoff and landing. Airplane mode is allowed when the flight is in the air, but not during takeoff.

17. AAPLinc, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Do you know how many people don't actually shut off their phone, including myself. I just switch into airplane mode as soon as they announce to put phones away. Having the phone on with airplane mode on is the same as having it off. If having your phone on was an actual issue and a danger while taking off/landing, then planes would be crashing all the time. Plus, if cell phones were that dangerous, it would be forbidden to even have a cell on a plane.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I still put my phone into airplane mode. Doesn't harm anything. Even if you don't turn on airplane mode, nothing will happen. There is rarely any service above 15,000 ft and the phone's antenna isn't strong enough to disrupt airplane radio frequencies.

19. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

This. It's great to know that there are extremely law abiding citizens out there, but just putting your phone in airplane mode is enough to eliminate whatever minimal risk existed in the first place. I have never once completely turned my phone off on a flight and I never will. Same goes for everyone else I know who travels frequently.

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The FAA already came out saying you can keep your phones on, but because of the government shutdown, they have not made it official yet.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

Technically, it's supposed to be completely off during take-off and landing. That may change soon when they enable use of e-readers and tablets during take-off and landing.

----------

So because of the government shutdown, you need to shut down your phones? :D:mad:

22. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

yeah i hear that same speech, but its not like they grab my phone and actually check. I just swap on airplane mode and leave my phone in my pocket. I think i literally only turn my phone off maybe less than a dozen times a year.

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

lmao

specssssss

----------

AFAIK airplane mode is for all times in the airplane even takeoff.

24. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

It will be a while government shutdown or not. A cell phone is a wireless device and currently there is still FARs and FCC Regulations prohibiting the use of wireless electronic devices during a flight conducted IFR. Now how are they going to say ok you can use your iPad but enforce the radio off rule. Surely, there are challenges ahead.

25. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I know one thing: Airlines crews have a lot of power to boot you off. The laws say if they even suspect you won't be cooperative during flight, hence making it unsafe for other passengers and crew, they have power to boot you off. You can sue all day long.