Why does Ireland allow pedophiles in the church?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, May 20, 2009.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

NYT Article

How can anyone have respect for a church which treated the most vulnerable as vermin.

I hope everyone involved rots in the hell they so justly deserve.

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I can only hope that at the very least they manage to pursue criminal investigations into all involved. It's a shame that there were no names in this report. :mad:

3. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not going to happen though. The (un) Christian Brothers have successfully sued to suppress virtually all information. Ireland's education ministry has also willfully withheld information.

Religious apologists make me sick. All they want to do is cover their own butts. If the Irish had any sense, the catholic church would be outlawed from operating in Ireland.

4. Queso macrumors G4

The truth will out, even if it takes another 10 years to do so.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Unfortunately, it isn't just the Catholic Church of Ireland that turns a blind eye to the abuse of children in their care.

As usually happens in these cases, the church does everything it can to protect the abusers. :mad:

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't see how you can ban a religion because of the abuses of an institution that admits error and fault. Religion is not equal to those who abuse it. I personally know a Catholic priest who suffered at the hand of these Irish institutions, and he has committed his life to preventing further abuse and bringing those guilty to justice, but that certainly doesn't preclude him from the religion.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is horrible. :eek: Those poor people. Can you even imagine?

8. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Yes, that would be a fantastic solution. :rolleyes: That was tried for hundreds of years and didn't really work.

EDIT: I do agree though that anyone involved in this should rot in jail.

9. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Let me rephrase that. All clergy, nuns, church employees, etc, should be banned from any contact with children for 100 years, or at least until celibacy is banned as being abnormal behaviour which leads to sexual deviancy.

Celibacy begets freaks.

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Well they don't really go near kids anymore anyway, too little of them to run institutions. It has to be said though that some of them did absolutely fantastic work, and actually educated this country. Such a shame that these disgraceful, disgusting people were allowed not only abuse, but continue abusing.

Yeah, celibacy is fairly retarded alright.

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm all for recognizing the benefits of sex in healthy life, but this statement has no basis in fact whatsoever. There is no evidence that choosing to become celibate makes you more likely to become a pedophile. You don't become a pedophile; you're either born attracted to children or you're not. What evidence do you have that celibacy "converts" people to pedophilia and that the high instance of pedophiles is not due to their recognizing that they will never have the kind of sex they want, and chose a job that would put them in contact with children?

Celibacy does not beget "freaks" because a small percentage of celibate priests in the entire world chose to take advantage of their position to abuse children.

There is no correlation at all. Since pretty much all schools in Ireland are run by the Church, you could easily make the just as ridiculous claim that being an Irish teacher begets freaks.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is there any evidence that "you're either born attracted to children or you're not"?

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think celibacy makes a person a pedophile. I think it is an excuse to lure them in to the church. A pedophile finds the church a safe haven. So if you let priests marry and have sex it will force the pedophiles out.

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't have any good, hard evidence, but I did hastily find the Wikipedia page that shows that just like any other sexual orientation (straight, gay, bi, whatever), the cause is unknown but probably linked to genetics.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Not necessarily. You'd have to force priests to marry. Allowing the general public to marry does not stop people from being pedophiles.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is paedophilia a sexual orientation?

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I guess it is an attraction, I don't know though.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Did you give this any thought at all before you posted MacNut :D;)!

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Aside from being an abhorrent one how else would you describe it?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think I would make it as a priest, the ladies are just to darn hot to leave alone.:p

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As a sociopathic condition finding its expression through inappropriate and unequal sexual predation.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That can be a lot of things though can it not?

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK, that's a better description.

24. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Abusers are also most likely to have been abused when children. One has to wonder if abused children coupled with forced celibacy as adults makes priests and nuns abuse children even more viciously.

If so, I'd think that would make for one heck of a lawsuit.