Why does my 15" 2.53Ghz (June 2009) MacBook Pro seems faster than my 17" 2.66Ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagos, Oct 28, 2009.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Without installing any software, factory restored, I upgraded both computers with a 500GB 7200RPM HD, same memory. Why does my 15" 2.53Ghz (June 2009) MacBook Pro seems faster than my 17" 2.66Ghz (Late 2008) MacBook Pro?

The Late 2008 17" MacBook Pro has faster graphics, more L2 Cache, faster processor etc etc. It doesn't make sense to me but I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Any ideas?

PS: After installing all softwares (the same on both machines), the 15" 2.53Ghz still seems faster. I am truly puzzled...

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Could be any variety of variables. Note that a 130MHz difference in processor speed is pretty much nothing. What type of RAM is in the 15", and what type of RAM is in the 17"?

3. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Stock RAMS from Apple. The 15" 2.53Ghz I believe came with Hymms (Don't know if I am spelling it right) and the 17" has a Samsung memory. Both came installed by Apple.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Really hard for me to say. I was looking for RAM types, aka DDR3, etc but I looked that stuff up. How much faster are you talking? On a fresh install, what were the differences in boot times?

5. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

The 15" boots faster and it is snappier, do you think the processor on the 17" might be defective?

Thanks for answering my questions....

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I haven't ever seen a defective processor before. You could boot off of the diagnostic DVD that came with your Mac and check to see if there are any reported hardware issues. I believe you boot off of DVD 2 while holding the D key.

7. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I ran the tests everything seems to be fine...Very weird...Anyways thanks for all your help :)

8. FnuGk macrumors regular

if the cpu is defective the machine will not boot simple as that.

how does it seem faster in what context?

the 17 inch screen run a higher res than the 15 inch (i think it does atleast) maybe that i what does it?

are both machine completely fresh installs otherwise you can't really compare them

9. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Try running Geekbench on both machines and post the results here. It's a very CPU-focused benchmark, but it's pretty much the best there is still :(

Oh, and don't worry about the shareware limitation, use the 32bit on both machines.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

"feels" "seems to be" "snappier" these are all objective terms, not exactly solid evidence to go from