Why does my iPad have such a hard time with youtube videos or videos in general?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhoney:), Oct 7, 2010.

1. iPhoney:) macrumors member

Jan 15, 2009
    My lap top and my iPad are using the same wi fi network and my laptop can stream a video all the way through without a problem but my iPad keps stoping the video and making me hit the play button again and again,it's driving me crazy :confused:

Edit; and when it freezes and then eventually resumes by itself(something my laptop rarely has issues with) it fast forwards through the eact amount of minutes that it was frozen, so I end up having to backtrack, it's really pissing me off!
  2. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    I'm not going to lie to you, but search the iPad forum for YouTube and you'll be served with a couple of things to try to rectify this (YMMV).

I must also admit that I have as of yet to discover a performance difference between the iPad and a PC or Mac when it comes to YouTube. I always have the same problem irrespective of device with the video freezing about one sixth in.
  3. beaster macrumors member

Jan 19, 2005
    I had the exact same symptoms. Macs and even iPhone stream Youtube just fine, iPad froze/halted/resumed/skipped forward. All the time, really annoying. I was completely fixed when I changed my iPad's DNS settings to point to Google's ( or Level3's ( I'm sure OpenDNS's would do the trick too. Now Youtube on the iPad screams.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2007
    Brighton, UK
    My iPad is pig slow on Youtube, a million times slower than my MBP. Google's DNS didn't help, but I might try that other one later and see if it works...
  5. nardo50 macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2009
    try this

had same problem..try turning off "ask to join networks" in settings..solved the you tube/video issue for me
  6. dirkdirk80 macrumors member

Sep 26, 2008
  7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    how do I change DNS settings?
  8. leons macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2009
  9. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2007
    Brighton, UK
    What? You can change DNS settings in the iPad, in settings, click on the ">" arrow next to your wifi network
  10. NYs FURY macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2008
    I had the same issue until I unchecked the HQ setting in you tube. Works fine now.
  11. clinkinfo macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2010
    I have the same problem. Don't even try anymore, it just freezes and is so slow.
  12. cas85 macrumors regular

May 4, 2010
    i find that youtube on the ipad bogs down after awhile unless you reboot the ipad (turn it on/off). once i do that, it flies again. works for me everytime.
  13. xraydoc macrumors 604

Oct 9, 2005
    Changing the iPad's DNS server to Google's ( and solved the slow-YouTube issue for me completely. Doesn't affect anything else.
  14. oli356 macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2010
    How do I go about doing this?

15. macperegrine macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2009
    London, UK
    I had the problem as well. Changing to the Google one suggested above has fixed it for me.

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > then tap the little blue arrow icon next to your network under the "Choose a Network" heading > then just type in the new DNS
  16. Mac Rookie macrumors member

Jul 12, 2009
    +1 dns settings didnt work for me. wifi issues