Why does my iPad say space is used for Photos when I don't have any photos on my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ckar, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Ckar, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

Ckar macrumors member

I deleted all my photos and in settings I see 358mb used. I check my photos app and there is nothing there.

What is going on? How can I fix this?

2. asriznet, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014

asriznet macrumors regular

Photo Library are photos synced using iTunes.

Have you tried check in iTunes -> iPad -> Photos and remove the photos there and try syncing again?

3. Ckar, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

Ckar thread starter macrumors member

yes, i changed the sync photo option to a empty folder,synced,and then after i unchecked the photo sync box

there is 1 photo that is over 300 mb, but i don't see it anywhere on my ipad

also, on my ipad it says have i about 6gb free while it says i have 8gb free on my itunes, that is not right, what is with the discrepancy?

4. asriznet, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014

asriznet macrumors regular

What happens if you sync some test photos, maybe 10 photos from your computer, did it go over successfully?

5. Ckar thread starter macrumors member

That didn't work. it will sync, but when I delete the photos afterwards it does not clear the 358mb on the ipad.

I think the 358mb is the photo cache. I saw it pop up in my folder on my desktop while going thru what you write in your post.

is tehre anyway to delete it, on the ipad (I already deleted it on the desktop many times)?

6. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

If guesses count...

A musing...

If one were to completely erase the iPad and then restore from an iTunes backup, would that resolve the issue? I'm guessing it would, but as there is some uncertainty re where the photos/photo cache are truly resident, I am just not as sure as I would prefer. Still, the process should be harmless (even if it doesn't work).

Of course, if the backup were (first) encrypted, then all passwords would also be restored.

So if you have 30 minutes and feel a bit adventurous, you might give that a go.

BTW, when you do get this pesky issue resolved, please post the solution.

7. Ckar thread starter macrumors member

i will be installing ios 8 tomorrow and will be doing a reset. hoepfully it will fix the problem.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you are going to do an erase/reset that will fix the problem guaranteed. And yes it is cache that's taking up space. There's an iPhone app that's free that also works on an iPad and it cleans and removes junk files and cache.

http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

9. R3k macrumors 6502a

Yes, go into Settings -> iCloud -> Photos and turn off Photo Stream. Then turn it back on.