Why does my iPhoto Library have double the storage size of all my photos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    In iPhoto I have 6,649 photos which take up 18.2GB in size (according to info), but in finder my iPhoto Library size is 35.2 GB... nearly double what it should be! Oh and I have about 8GB of videos. I'm not sure if "info" takes into account both pics and vids, but that would still leave a 10GB difference.

What is the reason for the discrepancy? I'm trying to clean up unnecessary things on my Mac. I'd like to trim that 35GB down if I can.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think you are the same person who was trying to share a single iPhoto library across 2 accounts. Is is possible that this is a side effect of that effort?

/Jim

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yup, that's me. But nope, not a side effect. I actually posted this before I tried to share the library accross two accounts. I noticed the size discrepency when I was about to create a disk image and wanted to reduce the size of the disk image as much as possible.

btw, I was able to delete my ipod photo cache, which cleared up over 10gb of space in my iPhoto library