Why does my new 2.8GHz i7 512MB VRAM MacBook Pro stutter in expose and widgets?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blownsphinctr, Dec 6, 2010.

1. blownsphinctr macrumors newbie

My brand new MacBook Pro stutters for the first few seconds when I 4-finger swipe to get into expose and when I display my widgets. What I mean by "stutter" is that the window/widget movement becomes choppy when the windows/widgets are fading in and out. It only stutters for a few seconds when I repeatedly go into expose and widgets, then it becomes smooth. I disabled automatic graphics switching and it still does this. Is this a flaw? My old 2.4 C2D MacBook NEVER did this. :confused::mad::(

2. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I have a 2.66GHz Core i7, and I've experienced the same problem. I've read somewhere that the problem stemmed from the latest Mac OS X.6.5 upgrade...

3. blownsphinctr thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like you and me are alone in this. No one else has this problem?

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Repair disk permissions.

5. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

No I had the problem too. I had it when changing GPU and opening large PDFs. 13" C2D doesn't do it.

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Try using gfxCardStatus to force it to Nvidia graphics mode. I think the stutter is from when it switches between Nv and Intel.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

disk permissions has no bearing on this and in fact there's little to no reason to run disk permissions. That was only needed for older versions of OSX. This has an effect on things that suddenly stopped working after an update, not performance based issues.

8. blownsphinctr thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't work :(

9. Macmel macrumors 6502

I agree that has nothing to do with this specific problem, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that repairing dics permissions is not necessary at all. I have had some problems with photoshop and ImageJ (don't open files by dragging them into the program icon, but will open them if I go to File>open) that were solved by repairing permissions.

10. Eithanius macrumors 65816

It won't work... It may probably solve a little of that, but the stutter still persist. It's even worse when it's on extended display mode of which nVidia is running.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most of the time repairing problems won't solve any issues and there's been a number of articles stating that at this point in OSX's life, its more myth then fact. While I'll not go as far as to say it's completely useless, but for 99% of the problems, it won't.

Also what you put makes little sense because the repair permission process only alters permissions for apple delivered operating system objects. It does not touch applications, like photoshop. Perhaps there was an issue with Finder that the repair permission process corrected, but one thing can be certain, it did not alter any permissions for photoshop.

12. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

Could it be the automatic graphics switching to the beefier graphics mode?
    My Sony VAIO does the same when switching over to the speedier graphics mode.

13. blownsphinctr thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you're right. I noticed it's choppy all the time when automatic graphics switching is enabled, and it's only choppy for a second or two when automatic graphics switching is disabled. I wish Apple would fix this. This choppiness really gives the feeling of a slow computer :(

14. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Mine's not choppy...

Graphics auto switch is ON.

15. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Maybe your computer is not all it is cracked up to be. At least it looks good.

16. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

its an issue that 10.6.5 brought up, and still happens to me to this very second (literally just happened when i was switching from a different window). this one other guy and I detailed our experiences in another thread all about it.