Why does my secure erase last only 10 seconds on my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macpokerstars, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macpokerstars macrumors member

Hi,

I have read some threads about "Erase all contents and settings" feature on the iPhone. It seems to take a few hours to do so, but it only took about 10 seconds to complete.

It seems that anything before iPhone 3GS, it was overwriting the whole space with 1's, and since iPhone 3GS, iPhone's have hardware encryption. It would mean that the Erase feature simply erases the encryption key, and then the data is lost forever.

Is what I am saying right?

But it's hard to believe that everything on the iphone is encrypted/decrypted all the time, without anyone noticing, performance wise.

Is my 10-second erase safe enough to wipe out the data on my iphone?

thanks in advance

2. saud0488 macrumors 6502

It reflects how long you last in bed with your significant other. One of the hidden features of iOS.

----------

:D

But seriously, it depends on how much stuff is on your device. If it's filled with Apps, emails, photos, videos, etc, then it'll take a lot longer than say if it only had some text messages.

3. macpokerstars thread starter macrumors member

Great nickname, you go pick up da hot chickz at the mall with your white outfit?

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's not true. The OP was correct about hardware encrypted devices simply erasing the encryption key.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2110

5. saud0488 macrumors 6502

nickname? It's actually my first name.

Good one. You pick up your cousins at the mall with that mindset, you redneck bigot?

6. macpokerstars thread starter macrumors member

Haha. Yes I do, with my big pickup truck and my KFC drive thru meal