Why does nobody think to only broadcast the AUDIO of the keynotes live online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Think about it. Dozens of people are sitting there with laptops. How hard is it to get a laptop in with a 3G card along with some Shoutcast or similar audio broadcasting software and to simply turn on their laptop's microphone?

There's so many reasons this needs to be done and should be done:

1) Very very low chance of getting caught by the Apple keynote security guys. No having to hold a camera, no having to position it right, and you'd look just like anybody else in the audience fiddling with their liveblog.

2) Very very low bandwidth needed. The stream could easily be done with a low chance of having it go down due to traffic congestion.

3) MANY people can easily listen to the original audio stream and easily restream it through another means without worrying about capturing video.

4) People at work could just LISTEN to the audio stream on their phone without getting caught! Imagine just turning on an app on your phone and listening to the keynote with a single earbud, live! Multitasking at its finest!

5) It's much better than pressing F5 on a liveblog to read stuff if there's no covert video stream.

Somebody make this happen tomorrow!

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It's already been done actually. I'm not too confident it'll happen though. Not sure if I'd want to listen to an audio stream though. Would almost rather read a live blog than listen to an audio stream. O'well, beggars can't be choosers.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

"And this is the iPhone 5! Just look at it, as you can see from what we've done here we've created a truly beautiful piece of technology. Now watch as I demo it. When I have this selected all I have to do is slide down here and we get this! Now just look at this screen, look at it will you! It's incredible! It goes all the way from here to here and were still able to fit the home button in here, the speaker here and right here is where front facing camera is. Isn't it prefect!?"

Live blogs come with pictures, that's what we really want to see.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think the main point is that Apple events are always pretty visual, and so you'd be missing out a lot of the stuff by only having audio. That said, I'd be interested in a live audio stream to accompany pictures and the live blog

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Truly an awesome comment, bravo.

6. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I completely understand, but we should have an audio-only backup in case this Vertex video stream goes down, if it even shows up at all.

7. cperchard macrumors 6502a

am i missing something or isnt the whole thing being streamed? video and audio.....so why we asking for just audio?

8. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Because I'd rather have an easily captured audio stream playing in my ear live than having no video stream.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Officially it's not being streamed although this Vertex site claims it will be doing just that. It remains to be seen if they can pull it off. The only official stream is for journalists at the Covent Garden store here in London as far as I'm aware.

10. -narcan- macrumors newbie

It's possible to have an audio feed and still have people live blogging.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It would be annoying for me to hear them announcing features then having to wait a few minutes for the photos to pop up on the liveblog - that said, I won't be following either. Hopefully I'll be sleeping and get to watch the video when I wake up. That is surely hoping for much more sleep than I know I'll get. Most likely I'll get a few minutes to read up on it in the afternoon and watch the video sometime Wednesday morning.

12. Krandor macrumors 6502

If they start streaming it they won't last through the whole thing. Way too easy to look at the stream, figure out pretty much where the person is, and shut it down. Happened at the iPad keynote earlier in the year.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure why this "needs" to be done. Is it a public event? That everyone has a right to listen to? How is this more beneficial than live-blogging?

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

SEO value. Apple gets a lot of value out of the web being flooded with images and text of what they announced.

15. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

You're kidding, right? You think reading journalist notes in a liveblog is the same as hearing the presentation live? Liveblogs are great for pictures, but getting the info directly through an audio stream would be great.