Why does the brightness sensor on the iPhone suck so bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rampant.A.I., Jan 23, 2012.

1. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And for that matter, why can't Apple seem to get automatic brightness right?

Some of the time it works reasonably well, but I find myself having to go into Settings and mess with the slider constantly. For instance, as I'm typing this in a darkened room, the screen is so bright it's making me squint. Earlier today, the screen so dim in sunlight I had to adjust the slider to where it probably is right now.

What gives?

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Well to be fair, I haven't find any gadget or electronic that can do auto-brightness just right. It would be either too dark in a bright room, or too bright in a lit room.

It's not like it adapts with your eyes, so yeah .. I always disable it. Truly garbage feature on any phone, TV, camcorder etc.

3. Rampant.A.I. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I get what you're saying, but it seems reasonably well done on my MacBook Pro. I'm just amazed the default settings seem to be way too bright and "can't see my screen," as if it's the reverse of what daytime/night time should be. Why even have a brightness slider with the auto adjust if it doesn't seem to change how the sensor/software behaves?

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I have this setting turned off on my iPhone 4 to conserve battery.

Brightness slide barr is set just over the two 's' in brightness which is ample for my eyes.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

What annoys me is that the brightness sensor doesn't work until you unlock the phone. It's really irritating when you're in the dark and need to unlock your phone with brightness that would be sufficient in sunlight.

I wish there were more adjustment for the dimmer end because it's often too bright in a dark room. I love when apps have a "night mode" because that's much easier on the eyes.