Why does the Focus S run smoother than my iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Timzer, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

Timzer macrumors 6502

How does a phone with brand new OS and inferior specs feel so much more smoother and responsive than a phone and OS with so much more development? Spec for spec my iPhone kills the Samsung Focus S, and from market share stats I was led to believe Windows Phone OS wasn't all that great. Well to my surprise the OS is amazingly fluid with No Hint Of Lag. I can say without hesitation that the Samsung Focus S is smoother and more responsive than my iPhone and Galaxy Nexus. I was certain my next phone was going to be either the GS3 or the next iPhone, but I'm sold on the Windows Phone . It is truly an incredible experience. And the layout is refreshing from the usual grid of icons. Windows Phone still has a long way to go when comparing features to iOS and ICS, but for the everyday person who just texts, emails, and uses social media, it does more than enough at the moment. Has anyone else tried a high end windows device and not been pleasantly surprised? It's quite the shocker. I just found my next mobile OS, now just gotta decide which phone come summer.

2. VulchR, Jan 22, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'll try to avoid my knee-jerk 'thanks for sharing :rolleyes:' reaction. I have to say that from what I've seen so far the new mobile OS from Microsoft has a GUI that I like better than Android.

3. cynics macrumors G3

I like android but I can see why threads like this can becoming annoying.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Windows Phone 7 is a great OS.

Even the first devices have received the latest update, and they all run smooth as butter with no dual core nonsense in sight.

Every windows phone performs equally as well, and Microsoft should be applauded for the job they have done.

It's all to do with optimisation.

The Transformer Prime is a quad core Android tablet, and even with its amazing specs, the overall smoothness of the OS leaves something to be desired.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I like Windows Phone 7 but it's limited and I can't figure out how to multitask.

Have you tried closing apps on your iPhone? It's amazing how many people don't know how to do this, and complain about their slow iPhone.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Some of us have argued that comparisons between mobile OS's and phones should be in a separate sub-forum so the information is still there but leaving this forum dedicated solely to the iPhone. I am not sure why this has not been acted on....

7. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Too bad MS can't market worth shlt. They got a worthy mobile OS to at least take their share of the market, yet they sit around without getting people excited about it. Quite baffling. You walk into any store selling phones and they will show you either an Android Samsung, Android HTC, or an iPhone. Nothing else seems to exist for these retailers. As much as I go Android, I would have to admit that you are right about the OS being extremely smooth. I don't think there's anything on the market that can touch it for it's responsiveness and fluid feel. Would I buy a Windows Phone? Not yet, but you bring out some heavy hitting hardware with minimum dual core, SuperAmoled HD Plus, 8 MP Back Camera/2 MP Front Camera and 1 GB of RAM, and you can bet I would pick one up. The WP GUI screams for a SuperAmoled Plus HD. Android is going quad core, but I don't think WP needs it. Android phones don't need it, but it's a selling point. So....

8. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Because compare to an app launcher that is iOS, WP7 is just some screens with texts on a plain background. If it wasn't smooth then MS should really fire their engineers.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If I had to choose between WP7.5 and Android hands down it would be Windows Phone. The UI is original.

10. SurferMan, Jan 22, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

I don't know anything about the focus, but my I777 GS2 is as fluid, smooth and responsive as my girlfriends 4S. But which iPhone do you have, I mean if your talking an 3GS which I still have, then I could see that happening. I like Windows Mango system as well, but they definitely need a better marketing and PR team.

11. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Windows Phone's UI isn't any more smooth than iOS in my opinion, they seem pretty equal. My iPhone 4S never has any laggy moments and my original Samsung Focus never did either. I think both WP and iOS are excellent examples of software optimization being far more important than hardware.

Windows Phone UI feels more natural to me (all the sliding around instead of tap this icon then tap this category then tap this to move to the next section then tap again) and live tiles are awesome. The Windows Phone virtual keyboard is also by far the best keyboard I've ever used on any phone.

Outside of the UI though, web browsing on my iPhone 4S is a substantially better experience and the app selection & quality is so much better, I don't regret replacing my Focus with it after the Focus drowned in a lake lol.

12. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

If iPhone didn't exist, I'd own a Windows Phone.
    They look wonderful.

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Come this summer if you are still interested in Windows Phone I would recommend the Nokia Lumia 900 for AT&T. Probably the best Windows Phone 7 Device of this year.

Carl Zeiss optics and LTE would be reason enough to get it.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

Probably has to do with the OS. I too was pleasantly surprised that this was coming from Microsoft. I wasn't a believer at first. After a few days of use, I was entranced my the UI. Windows Phone is not only fast and smooth but STABLE! I have an Android and two iPhones, yet, I always go back to the Windows Phone because it is more fun to use and look at.

Windows Phone has surpassed even webOS as the most intuitive and my favorite mobile OS. There is limitations right now, but I must say as an OS in only Generation 2 hardware, WP was better than iOS in 2008. Their Gen 1 phones with Mango is just as smooth and fast as most current Androids.

Trust me, I am not the biggest Microsoft supporter. I still think Apple makes the best products and rely alot on Google services. I don't use Bing and more of a PlayStation 3 fan myself. I probably have loathed Apple's old arch nemesis much longer than Apple themselves. But I have to see things objectively and give credit where credit is due. Windows Phone is a solid OS and I look to stay with them for awhile. Intuitive, attractive, and stable. Something MS is not known for. Good job, Microsoft.

15. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Just read up about this. Looking forward to see a review. Also read there are a few LTE phones from Samsung and HTC coming this summer as well. MWC 2012 can't come soon enough.

----------

Intuitive was exactly what came to mind when I gave it a go.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

It just feels very natural with me when I use this device. I thought closing apps by swiping up with webOS always felt satisfying and a bit fun with the touch gestures. But WP feels even more natural and fun to use. Doesn't seem so static like iOS' GUI.

The end of this year we will see more of the Generation 3 WP devices with even a more feature-rich and refined OS. I can't wait. I think 2012-2013 is when Windows Phone really starts to become mainstream the way Android took off by late-2009 and exploded in 2010-2011. Nokia's popularity outside the USA and Windows 8 will really popularize the Metro UI look all over the world. It started from the underrated Zune HD from 2009 and is carrying through with more mainstream devices like our phones, tablets, and desktop computers. But the Zune HD was what reinvented Microsoft in a way when it came to making software.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You didn't mention what's wrong with your iPhone in your advertisement for the Windows phone.