Why does the iPhone add all my wife's Contacts to my phone!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tobasco27, Dec 3, 2011.

1. tobasco27 macrumors member

No doubt a dupe question, but I did a search and couldn't find a good answer.

Whenever I sync my phone, either to upgrade, add music, apps, whatever, it automatically adds all my wife's contacts from her phone (and vice versa of my Contacts on her phone!)

Is there a simple fix for prevent this from happening. I just want to have a clean list of contacts on my phone. Any help would be appreciated!:confused:

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I don't use itunes for contacts (I use google) but from what I've found just recently using itunes is that for whatever you're syncing there are at least two lists:

One master list (including everything)
    A phone-specific list

If you have multiple phones, you would have:

Master list (with all music or all contacts or all photos etc)
    Phone A list
    Phone B list
    Phone C list
    etc.

It sounds like you've got your phone syncing it's own pictures (i.e. phone A pictures) and probably even your own music (phone A music) but it sounds like you've got iTuners set to sync the master contact list.

Unfortunately I've only used itunes a few times with my new phone (and beat my head into a wall trying to update and properly sync the artist name) so I can't tell you a specific setting to go check however I feel like the system works as outlined above from what I've found so you may want to keep searching iTunes settings or utilize the help feature to determine why it's syncing the master contact list and not just your phone-specific list.

Sorry if this is no help or the information is incorrect, I'm just speaking from what I feel I've obeserved lately.