Why does the iPhone store obvious misspellings in its dictionary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jul 28, 2012.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

For instance, I wrote instancr by accident instead of instance, now it autocorrects the correct spelling of instance to that. Possibly the stupidest thing the iPhone does. I can understand if it you type something that bares no resemblance to any real word and it stores that, but why on earth would it save an obvious mispelling of a real word?

2. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

3. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

i always assumed it was to account for slang. a lot of people will text slang or abbreviations that their friends may understand while other people may not.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It had no way of knowing if it's a person (or company) name or, as stated, slang.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah it does, if it's 1 letter off of a real word it should by default assume its supposed to be the word. How many slang words/nick names/gibberish lingo between friends meets that description?

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Because the user told it to. iOS didn't choose to be illiterate on its own. It had help.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thInk it's part of the autocorrect learning how you type as you type.

General > reset > keyboard dictionary

8. yoyomamma macrumors newbie

Dates all the way back to the Newton perhaps...

By storing those words, it'll think they're spelled correctly when it sees them.

On the Newton, I pulled this sort of trick by taking what the recognition would commonly convert my handwriting into and related those to the correct spelling.

For instance, it liked to convert my handwriting into teh when I tried to handwrite "the". I could store teh>the and it would autocorrect itself.

Apple might have something like this going on.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I get that this is handy for slang and such, I just wish there was a way to edit specific miss-spellings. Unless I am mistaken, you either reset ALL or nothing.

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Actually most slang fits that description as do plenty of company and city names.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

For me what's odd is prior to the feature in iOS 5 to add my own words, I used to try to teach my iPhone to learn certain words by using them more often and it just refused to learn them. Then once I misspelled a word (similar to the OP) and from then on it always tried to "fix" it to the wrong version. Wtf iPhone?

12. onthecouchagain, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

One of the many reasons why the iOS keyboard is in terrible need of updating.

----------

That's basically the gist.

----------

Are you really that dense? Typos happen; mistakes happen. Of course it's from the user. The point is that the OS shouldn't always store every mistake that's made. It ought to allow you to choose and/or edit what is saved and what isn't.

Adding this feature would go a long way in improving the keyboard. It makes no sense to have to wipe the whole thing out just because of one typo the OS has decided to keep forever (and worse, change to when you actually type it in correctly. That's an awfully dumb thing for a smartphone to do.)

----------

If the keyboard truly is the way it is for slang, then that's all the more reason why it should allow the user to edit and add what is considered slang or not to the dictionary. Isn't that the point of slang; that it's specific to your culture/style of talk/inside jokes, etc?

Why is Apple dictating what is your slang?

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Exactly, some people just refuse to acknowledge blatant flaws. Almost as annoying as the flaws themselves.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In theory, if you correct the correction a couple times, it will revert back to normal?

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ironically, no. That's the problem, it is completely inconsistent and selective with what it remembers, and for some reason if you mistype a word once it sticks yet when you deliberately enter a slang word it doesn't. Very annoying.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If what your saying is true, your probably one of very few with this problem or doing something wrong. Autocorrect works good for me. I'm sure it works good for most others too or you would have seen every blog write about it.

17. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Plenty of "Damn you iphone auto correction" type websites out there. Sure a lot of it is faked nowadays but it doesn't change the fact that the ios keyboard gave birth to that whole phenomenon.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Exactly, and just because people don't complain about it in great numbers doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Many people just deal with it or don't even notice it, but to experienced and avid users who know better it is incredibly annoying.

19. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I though I was the only one with this problem! My iPad 1 is driven me crazy with this problem.

My theory is that so many jailbreaks have messed up something about the keyboard. Just a theory though. This never happened before doing jailbreaks (or before iOS 5).

This is why I say iOS keyboard is not that good.

20. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How is it the keyboard? That seems to work fine, wouldn't it be some other part of the operating system?

21. cynics macrumors G4

I found it best to reset the dictionary about once every 3-4 months.

I think the competition nailed this. Here is a screen shot. I don't have much in here but you can add slang/names to the user dictionary when typing normally. But if something were to get saved incorrectly it can later be edited or even just removed. Works great.

[​IMG]

I think iOS could really benefit from an updated user dictionary...

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You can add custom words in iOS in Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts.

Instead of creating a shortcut, just make the word you want to use both the shortcut and the phrase. That's how I got my iDevices to stop correcting my swear words to duck and shut.

23. cynics macrumors G4

Damn, good idea! Kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that. However it is nice to add words without menu diving...

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

No denying that. On my current Windows Phone, I can just add it from the bar right above the keyboard (I believe Android uses the same method). That is definitely much more convenient than going into the settings to add it.

25. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Interesting. I never ran across this problem before. Mine always corrects to the correct spelling, not an incorrect. For example, when texting my daughter I often use the "word" otay. My iPhone consistently wants to change it to pray and the iPad to okay.

My phone has never picked up incorrect spellings and then offered them back as corrections.. Is it just me? (My mother always told me I was special. :) )