Why does the media make it so easy for Trump to play the victim?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 17, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Every time the media does this they give Trump more ammunition for his war against the media and claiming anything that makes him look bad is fake news. In this instance major news outlets intentionally reported Trump’s comments out of context because they want the public to think Trump believes all immigrants are animals. It’s disgusting. As someone who is not a Trump fan it annoys the heck out of me when the media allows him to play the victim. Unfortunately it seems to happen way too often. Why should the public believe anything they report?

https://www.mediaite.com/online/cnn...grants-animals/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

President Donald Trump held a meeting on illegal immigration at the White House on Wednesday and one particular moment went viral… but for all the wrong reasons.

Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims expressed her frustrations with the federal government to the president regarding the handling of criminal illegal immigrants and cited MS-13 gang members as an example. Responding directly to that, Trump said the following:

“You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people, these are animals, and we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before.”

However, dozens of media outlets have only shared the response to Sheriff Mims, not including her question and comments that were directly about MS-13 and in the process purposefully mischaracterizing the president’s remarks to accuse him of referring to immigrants as “animals.”

CNN, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, and C-SPAN shared the clip on Twitter leaving out the crucial context of Trump’s response.

2. TonyC28, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I think the answer is that they can't help themselves. Your last sentence is what matters the most. Do they not even care about their credibility? Or does it just matter what they hear in their echo chambers?
    Edit to add one point:
    Does their credibility even matter anymore?

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’ve only seen one correction so far, by the Associated Press. Of course the media isn’t providing corrections because everyone would know it wasn’t a mistake it was intentional.

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

And so it goes, millions of idiots who get their news from memes on Twitter will live on thinking that Trump really said that. I guess the media did their job. It's sad really. I have a six month old daughter and we live in a world where I will have to encourage her to check and recheck everything she hears and reads because it probably has some BS spin on it.

5. IWantItThatWay Suspended

This is what happens when you think with your fee fees instead of logically.

And this is why I think Trump needs to start banning media networks from the White House. They are outright enemies. They cant help but lie, lie, and lie.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The MSM has one goal, to make Trump look bad. For them, the ends justify the means. It is crap like this that make many people distrust MSM.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you’re bothered by lying you must hate Trump.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is an odd story given that MS-13 started in the US.

9. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Trump doesn't go on and on about "truth" and "justice" like the media does.

Trump needs to lay the hammer down for this.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much all politicians.

11. IWantItThatWay Suspended

From Salvadorans who came here during the Civil War.

That's the ENTIRE point lmao!

12. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

Most of the NYC and LA "media" people are Democrats... so it's hard for them to hide their absolute hatred for Trump.

The national elections are always urban vs rural agendas... Trump just throws gasoline on the fire that's been there for decades.

For anyone that doesn't like Trump... he sure gives you PLENTY of reason to hate him more and more... to the point that it's almost like he does it on purpose... ;)

For the fly-over folks that support him for whatever reason they have... when every single day you turn on the news they're in an all out war to find some reason to rip him out of the office... you get numb to it, sure. So to them, of course he's a victim.

I think people have just gotten so dug-in to fighting for what they want... that they forget that in a country of 350 million people... there are different things important to different people... and there are a lot of policies that Trump pushes that people agree with, but the other side can't see that because just they hate Trump so much personally.. so anything he wants must be evil and horrible.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Trump should come out at the next daily press briefing and ask the reporters from each outlet that ran with this to stand up and ask them why their agency ran a story they knew to be false.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He won’t. Because they they will ask him about his 1000 odd lies.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2018 ---
    Excuses excuses.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

They do that already. And they should. What some in the media did should not be defended or ignored. Even from the anti-Trump perspective this shouldn’t be tolerated because as @Rogifan said this gives Trump something to point to.

16. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Trump would play the victim regardless. Honestly, most of the reporting doesn't exactly sound incorrect to me. Admittedly, it is misleading to imply he was referring to all (undocumented) immigrants. Although I wouldn't be too sure the guy only had MS13 members in mind either... he certainly has a history of ranting about all sorts of immigrants in dehumanizing terms. "Some, I assume, are good people" :rolleyes:

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, you and the MSM can read minds now?

How about just criticizing what he actually said, instead of what you think he meant.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Was watching this and one claim was that President Trump should have clarified his answer that "people" was actually "MS-13" and similar "people". WTH?

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Actually, if you read the full context of Trump’s quote, he was speaking more broadly about undocumented immigtants and not just about gang members. I agree that it is important for news organizations to provide complete context, but I disagree with anyone trying to make the case that what he said was not incredibly offensive and racist.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The Washington Post, Reuters, and the New York Times reported the comments in context. The Associated Press deleted a tweet and updated a story to make sure that it was clear that the president made his comments after a mention of an MS-13 gang member. But, it's actually not clear whether the president was speaking about all immigrants, some immigrants, or specifically MS-13 gang members, rather we have to infer that this was the subject. And, to a point, I think we're being charitable to argue that the president meant MS-13 gang members.

But, here's the thing. Even if the President was referring the MS-13 gang members, his comment that they "aren't people, these are animals" is still incredibly problematic.

21. Irishman macrumors 68030

Well, it doesn't matter, as long as 45 has his fan club (Fox News, InfoWars, Brietbart), etc. His narcissism is well known.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2018 ---

That's not how whataboutism works.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

From a political Washington DC perspective it may be problematic but from a US citizen perspective I am perfectly fine with his characterization of MS-13 members.

23. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I mean, a lot of the media did specify that he was talking about some immigrants only.

Others simply quoted him. Even looking at Trump's quote on its own, without any context, it is possible to assume that he is referring to a subset of people that they're "taking out". And no one, as far as I can see, claimed that he was referring to all immigrants. Even the following is basically true, albeit admittedly misleading:

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If what I have read about MS-13 is true, then I have no problem with President Trump referring to them as animals.

25. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Yeah, it's an annoying response ain't it?