Why does the media stupidly continue to play Trump’s game?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Trump tweets something (or many things) outrageous on purpose and the media spends all day hyperventilating over it. Rinse & repeat each morning. This is obviously a game Trump is playing to dominate the news cycle and make the media look like they’re obsessed with him. It’s the same thing with hiring Giuliani and having him all over TV. At what point does someone in the media say screw it I’m not playing his game, I’m going to ignore his trolling tweets and focus on news that matters. At what point does some news director refuse to book Giuliani because his trolling isn’t news? OR at what point does someone really call Trump out on his all bark no bite and challenge him to fire Sessions and Rosenstein and Mueller and pardon Flynn, Manafort and Gates. Not only does the media let him dominate the news cycle they don’t force him to back up anything he says. Trump is sitting on his bed in the White House laughing at how easily he’s able to play the media like a fiddle every single day. It really is pathetic.

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Simple answer: because the media is not driven by integrity or righteousness, they are driven by views and clicks. As far as Sessions goes, there are various theories about that.

3. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

I have been saying this to all the Anti-Trump people I know. He. Is. Distracting. You. From. Everything. Don’t focus on his kids. Don’t focus on his mistresses. Don’t focus on his wife. Focus on his acts as President. There is some good and bad there (much as it pains me to admit it), don’t let him get away with the bad because you are fighting his grammar on a tweet.

I said the same thing to Anti-Obama people. Why fight over a birth certificate, etc., etc., Focus on where he is screwing things up in foreign policy, etc.,

Sometimes it sucks not being in either party. :)

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Well if it’s just a game for everybody then the country is truly screwed.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    He is gaslighting every single day and gets away with it either because the media is to stupid to know or are in on it. Today it’s I have the right to pardon myself and the special counsel is unconstitutional. Gaslighting.

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I don't know if I'd say it's a game for everybody. Ask yourself this: do you think the media in this country (I realize that's a very broad brush way to put it) conducts themselves in a way that they are simply reporting on what is going on to get the information out to the American people?

6. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

HAAAAAAAAA! That’s funny to even ask. In a word? No. And it isn’t because of politics. It’s because that doesn’t sell. It’s the spin that sells.
    Exactly.

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

8. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

MSM reports the news which includes incredulous asinine statements by Trump and his lap dogs. If you want to question playing Trump’s game, question the crickets from the GOZp and the citizens who are allowing this kind of malfeasance to continue. Once we have devolved to a point where we don’t hold our leadership responsible for blatant and damaging partisan actions, we are screwed as a Nation.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Because there’s one thing Trump does exceedingly well, and it’s set low hanging fruit for multimillionaire talking heads to babble about so there’s no airtime for matters of consequence.

As long as “news” is a long form clickbait article on TV it’ll never get better.

12. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Exactly like that. That is my point, and probably the point of the OP. He is playing the media.

Now everyone is arguing about whether he CAN or CANNOT pardon himself, and has stopped talking about other things.
    We haven’t done that in several administrations. GWB and Clinton were the last presidents to not play partisan politics. It wasn’t entirely Obama’s fault as he had to deal with the tea party, but he totally devolved down into the morass and then cried foul whenever he could. We need a transcendent president that cares little about his party and more about this nation. Of course the superdelegates in the Democratic party will ensure that doesn’t happen, and will run someone like Hillary anyway. Don’t even get me started on the GOP. Maybe if Rand Paul ran? He has sponsored legislation with Cory Booker before.

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You, and everyone else who thinks this is some sort of Trump master strategy, are giving him far too much credit. More often than not, when someone blurts out something idiotic, it’s because he’s an idiot.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Trump’s corruption and instability if not, should be the Nation’s number one priority to be resolved at this point unless we like being ruled by a corrupt nutcase.
    Credit goes to the forces that surround Trump who fail to respond to his malfeasance. :(

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Is this a joke?

16. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

And Trump wins again. You, sir, are going to get him re-elected. I don’t disagree that he deserves less credit than we give him credit for, but that doesn’t make him an idiot either. People keep underestimating him. Remember what Mark Twain (I think) once said, “Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with superior experience.”

17. Huntn, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I would not describe Obama as overtly partisan. Obama had every right to call foul dealing for 8 years with a GOP who unamously said no to every proposal he made, even proposals that they normally would agree to, whose only stated goal was to make him a 1 term President.

How do you work with poison? This is the huge chink in the armour of our Democracy and how it is constructed. It also supports the notion that any system of government is only as good as the people who enable it and function within it.

The relationship with today is that Trump lies, lies, lies, and then lies some more, a RIVER of frickn lies, and we as a society accept this unacceptable behavior. We’re getting what we deserve. :mad:
    Yes, Trump relies on stupid, to be surrounded by stupid to remain in power. Is there a solution for that? :oops:

18. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Yes, the solution is to focus on the issues, and don’t exhaust yourself emotionally with these stupid tweets that will never matter like can he pardon himself? That is how he wins. That and the name-calling. It legitimizes tactics. If you call him names, than anyone on the fence will assume that you are just another Trump-hater and disregard you as much as they disregard Trump-lovers. Bury your contempt for the man and argue on a particular issue.

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You are on to something here. Most won't agree though.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Maybe you are being a pragmatist, but we would win if we simply maintain that continuous deceit is unacceptable, but into today's poison partisan climate, that’s just too hard. :(

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

So when Trump says he has the right to pardon himself, that's not something the media should address?

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Oh I don’t think there’s some master tragedy other than trolling and gaslighting.

23. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

No. They just shouldn’t get so full of rage and disgust that they lose all sense of objectivity and ignore what other things are going on. Look, if it was the 90s, you could do both. I saw an article recently that said the New York Times had hundreds of investigative journalists at the apex of that decade. Fast forward to now and they have like 10% of that. There isn’t enough to investigate everything. So, point out how silly it is and then move on to other more important issues.

24. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

He doesn’t believe anything he’s saying. He’s trolling. He’s gaslighting. The media should ignore him.

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

...and relying on a basket of deplorables who lap up Trump’s milk.