Why does the United States need fifty hydrogen bombs forward deployed in Turkey?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 18, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I don't worry about their security; however, fifty nukes less than 80 miles from the Syrian border is just stupid. Frankly, there are no reasons for US nukes in Europe but since they are there, they should be no further East that the U.K.

And that's what I got to say about that.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-h-bombs-in-turkey

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's either our nukes there or European countries start building their own nuclear stockpile.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd bet most NATO countries don't want them on their soil.

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

Moste of the reasons are classified, but the B61 has a integral role to play in MAD.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

7. jerwin macrumors 65816

Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Italy, and yes, Turkey, all "share" about 180 nuclear bombs with the United States-- the wording of the agreement is designed to circumvent the Non Proliferation Treaty. The UK and France both have nuclear weapons of their own.

8. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Don't worry, these are only the small, tactical, nuclear bombs with a 340 Kiloton yield. That's only 20 times the size of the one that we dropped on Hiroshima.

It's not like it's the B83 with it's 1.2 Megaton yield.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sweet does that mean the US can quit subsidizing their militaries with ours? They might have to cut some social welfare budgets to actually fund their military.

10. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Brits and France already have nuclear stockpiles. The rest of Europe will rest comfortably under their umbrella. Why spend billions on a nuclear program when you can freeload for nothing?

Got a link to that film? It looks epic, Reefer Madness epic.

11. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah we need to start bringing our forces home and spending less money policing the world.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Link
    Can't say I watched it. I learned all I needed to learn about Commies from Rambo, and the ultra-realistic training film Red Dawn.

13. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Seems really stupid. This is the kind of intentional stupidity that will allow an enemy to get one (or more) then trigger WWIII or a counter-nuke response. As if they want it to happen. Just like how our race-baiting-cop-hating Administration wants things to get worse domestically so they can come in with sweeping gun and federal police regulations to "save" us.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I believe the US would go HAM to protect nuclear assets.

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

"Why does the United States need fifty hydrogen bombs forward deployed in Turkey?"

Historical reasons mostly. This is answered in the article you linked to.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the article:

Emphasis mine.

Which does bring up a pretty good point. If the US has no means of delivering the weapons, and presumably would have to fly in new aircraft equipped to handle them - why indeed go to the expense of storing and guarding the weapons in such a potentially volatile location?

The answer probably has to do with either our obligations to some classified codicil to the NATO agreement; or is some bizarre legalistic result of one of our Arms Control agreements with the Russians: As long as the bombs are there, they can't ask us to remove them. But if, at some future point we wanted to bring them back, we'd be in violation.

The world is full of such weird legal folderols. The British rail network, to cite one example, has a whole host of "ghost" train services.

17. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Hmmmm..... Maybe that's just so they can be sure the turkey is well roasted??? :D:confused::eek::cool:

18. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Great video, despite the horrible pronunciation of Hiroshima. thanks for sharing. I have been to Nagasaki and to a war museum in Tokyo. I have also been to the Gen MacArthur museum in Little Rock which has some post war information available. As a former Army Soldier and husband to a Japanese woman and father of 2 Japanese American children I am fascinated by this piece of history, along with other war history. I think these bombs were a needed tool to end the war, despite the horrible destruction they caused. I hope there is never a need to use them again, but if it ever comes down to it I hope we aren't left without them when our enemy has them.

19. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Looks like others are asking the same question.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ises-new-questions-about-u-s-bombs-in-turkey/

20. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The 50 nukes are Obama's going-away present to Sultan Erdogan, future Caliph of the Neo-Ottoman Empire.

The 21st century needs a re-incarnated John III Sobieski** if Erdogan starts getting everything he dreams of.

** Polish King who was supreme allied commander in the Battle of Vienna, he basically kicked the Ottoman arses in the Ottoman invasion bid to capture Vienna (and turn Europe Muslim).

21. thermodynamic, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The good commies like in Vietnam where they make clothes for the world or the bad commies, whichever country is said to be? The US lost the war on Vietnam, which existed ostensibly to keep communism from spreading... Vietnam is still a Communist country. The US lost the war, but then US textile companies started offshoring over there. Communism doesn't sound like a problem since many Communist countries are being used...

Hey, didn't a commie once claim how capitalism would sell the rope used to be defeated with by the communists? Joseph Stalin, Carl Marx, John Lenin or whatever his name was? Doesn't sound right since that would imply capitalists are closet commies or vice-versa or something, I wouldn't know. Meh, an internet web search claims they all had coined the same phrase, how odd is that? The internet claims lots of things. It doesn't claim Tim Cook is a commie, though.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2016 ---
    Maybe they're preparing for another Peace Prize award going to President Obama, or preparing possible President Trump in the future to press the big red button to start the shiny new easy-bake oven? Everyone seems to believe he and only he will start World War III, the Search for Roasted Marshmallows. :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2016 ---
    Mmmm, deli...

[​IMG]

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Oh, those shiny red buttons. Who could resist?

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

The UK have just voted to renew there's which directly breaks the anti nuclear treaty that was signed.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Which one was that?