Why does this keep happening?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 0098386, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 0098386 Suspended

Arthur Collins trial: Acid 'thrown inside packed club'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41566491

It used to be a “Muslim” honour attack method, but now it seems white men using this attack have rapidly increased.

The constant in all these stories are men trying to control women. Be they seeking revenge for being dumped or cheating. All you need do is google “acid attack London” or “England”. I don’t know if you have these yet in America.

What can be done to stop these? Lessons at school to tell boys what is and isn’t acceptible? Nip violent and controlling behaviour whilst they’re young? It’s so difficult.

Personally I think ‘decency’ has to be taught in PSE lessons (I think the name has changed now, but sex and social lessons they teach at age 13-15 here in the UK). There’s some social corruption where men start to believe they can control women and that violence is an okay path to pursue in order to maintain or punish that control.

Sad.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You are never going to protect everyone from every nutjob in the world.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I hate to say it, but how many people can one practically simultaneously hurt with acid? A dozen?

At least in England the guy couldn't buy an AR-15 at the local Walmart.

4. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Escalation behaviour. There's a sizeable portion of the population that think just walking away with a shrug is weak. In reality though it's the strongest thing you can do IMO. I mean, so what if you don't get your own way sometimes? Move on FFS.

5. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

You're two years too late with the Walmart quip.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Its a worrying trend in London and appears to be the revenge choice of scum. I suppose it’s cheap and does plenty of damage mostly without killing the person. Dreadful I say.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Disfigured the rest of your life or dead? That's like asking someone would they rather have lung or oral/nasopharyngeal cancer. Some would actually pick lung cancer.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

When I was an undergraduate my dumba$$ chemistry lab partner dropped a litre extremely concentrated acid on my foot. In the seconds it took to get me to the emergency shower the clothing was beginning to dissolve and my skin was beginning to burn. There are two things I cannot imagine: (1) having a chemical burn without the ability to wash the stuff of immediately, in which case one just sits there getting burned and (2) having the twisted, evil mentality to do that to somebody intentionally. Anybody who attacks another with acid strong enough to burn skin deserves a life sentence in my opinion.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

No, I'm talking about hurting/killing a dozen people at a time versus 600 people at a time.

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Or having drops of acid put on their skin, slowly.
    Not strong enough for permanent damage, but give them a sample of what they are doing.

11. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

12. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

From where are they getting the acid? School laboratories, pharmacies, home-made?

13. 0098386 thread starter Suspended

So why is this happening? Every story I’ve read involves a man being angry at a woman - what’s causing it?

As I said earlier I think it’s time we try those “teach young boys not to rape” lessons people were talking about a while ago. We should definitely branch out into gun culture later, but as the topic of the thread goes this is about acid attacks in London for now :) unless, are the two related? But it’s worth discussing the rise of acid attacks in the UK. Why are these young men committing such vile acts, do you think?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    There seems to be one major one a week, at least from the appearance of such stories on my Apple News. I’m asking around for figures on this (local police forces, police friends etc). I’m very curious about the figures over the last few years and the age, sex, and religion of the attacker, as there seem to be trends from anecdotal evidence. It’s very worrying.

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

As alluded to earlier, because you don’t have access to guns like we do in the US. We have an entire channel and a large chunk of several other channels dedeicated to murder, mostly driven by jealousy. In some ways we are still biologically no more evolved than other animals.

15. 0098386 thread starter Suspended

All very true. However the tools to do this specific attack have been known for years. Why is it only now on the rise? And why is it (so far in my research) always men doing it after a woman has angered them? It’s never used for killing sprees or random attacks like guns are.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Acid can be purchased from pool supply locations. It’s very common.

17. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Why exactly did Arthur Collins do this? The article doesn't give a whole lot of context, it looks like the victims were all male, and apparently he had a friend help him out who accidentally got acid on him too?

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I couldn’t say why now other than coverage of Middle Eastern culture has made it trendy, to put it crassly, but as far as why I’d say it’s because some men feel a woman’s attractiveness is thier worth and power and if you take that away they are nothing, worse than dead.

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'm from an era where "throwing acid inside a club" meant something completely different and possibly enjoyable if you were into the stuff. Sad to see things have changed so much since.

20. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

In USA it is very easy to acquire dangerous chemicals.
    Guncotton, Nitrocellulose, is just acids-soaked rags.
    In Europe, many of these things are restricted.
    But I don't know the status of acids, there.

21. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Or maybe they deserve an eye for an eye, an acid to the face for an acid to the face.

If I were Ruler of the World…. it's how I would punish these evil acid-assaulters. Tie them up naked, and then have the victim (or the victims family) douse the convict with several liters of acid. Publicly televised.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Much better punishment than a plush UK prison.

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Acid is used as one of the chemicals to control the ph of pool water. Although acid is dangerous, look at the ease of purchasing fuel, much more dangerous. Personally, as a pool owner I would not advocate making acid more difficult to purchase, although I would not be against keeping records about who is buying acid.

24. daflake macrumors 6502a

I guess saying "because people are *******s" isn't going to be good enough for you.

Everyone wants people to live in this weird Utopia where we all get along, but that is seldom the case.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Ha, I know what you mean, plus offenders don’t spend long enough in there in any case!

I’ve worked inside Broadmoor Hospital though and that really is a place you don’t want to be locked up inside. Inmates there can be there for decades but are criminally insane in many cases. Perhaps those throwing acid should be put there at her majesty’s pleasure? Spend a week with somebody who is prone to gouging eyes out with door handles but thinks it’s totally normal. I doubt many cowards would wish for a trip there!