Why does Trump want Pelosi as Speaker?

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
11/17/18, 5:37 AM
I can get Nancy Pelosi as many votes as she wants in order for her to be Speaker of the House. She deserves this victory, she has earned it - but there are those in her party who are trying to take it away. She will win! ⁦‪@TomReedCongress‬⁩
Some are calling it trolling, others say he wants Pelosi as a foil. I think it’s stupid. Democrats took back the house, won more votes than Republicans. Obviously the country doesn’t think she’s the bogeyman and she’s been Speaker before she knows what she’s doing. A big reason we have Obamacare is because of Pelosi. Trump should want some new guy he can totally roll over. And no he’s not going to get any House Republicans to support Pelosi...because they’re not stupid.

Strider64

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Personally I think Pelosi is an idiot. I think the Democrats need fresh blood in Washington (The Republicans need fresh blood also). We don't need politicians that think about their own interests only or just worrying how to get re-elected. I rather have a politician act on a piece of legislation because it would be good for the country and not get re-elected than a politician who would vote for it (or not) simply because it would get him/her re-elected.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Some are calling it trolling, others say he wants Pelosi as a foil. I think it’s stupid. Democrats took back the house, won more votes than Republicans. Obviously the country doesn’t think she’s the bogeyman and she’s been Speaker before she knows what she’s doing. A big reason we have Obamacare is because of Pelosi. Trump should want some new guy he can totally roll over. And no he’s not going to get any House Republicans to support Pelosi...because they’re not stupid.
Trump is an idiot. I don't think there's much thought in his tweet other than it's his subject of the day.

ETA: the flip side is - he think's he's clever and is trying to do reverse psychology. Also he's not the vote getter he thinks he is. If he was, (R)s would have more house seats.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Because Pelosi is an archenemy of the Right (according to the Right). Trump needs that to keep his based fired up.
Agree. Trump thinks he can demonize her more easily than someone else based on how the right has already been doing that to a large degree, with some even making fun of her looks. Get ready for "Crooked Nancy."

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Personally I think Pelosi is an idiot.
On what basis? She’s probably the most skillful speaker since Tip O’Neill at managing her caucus. She is almost single-handedly responsible for getting comprehensive health insurance legislation through the House, something numerous speakers tried and failed to do before her.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
It's simple: Trump has an easier time saying nasty things about women. He's a misogynist bully who feels like he has more power over women than men. That's the only reason he ever hires women to be part of his staff. Pelosi is an especially appealing adversary to him, because she is already so hated by other misogynists in the Republican party. He looks forward to the day when he can debut his elementary school playground nickname for Pelosi, and have all the Republican men giggle and shout, "Hear, hear!"

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Agree. Trump thinks he can demonize her more easily than someone else based on how the right has already been doing that to a large degree, with some even making fun of her looks. Get ready for "Crooked Nancy."
Didn’t work in the mid terms.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Only fools predict the weather or presume to know the reasoning behind anything President Bloviating Assflap Flim Flam Carnival Barker Con Man Tax Fraud Tweeter & Thief says.
Pelosi is a completely Corporrupt Democrat, a useless throw-back to a political organization that has lost its way and no longer serves anyone or anything but its own self-interests along with the aggregation of power and wealth.
The sooner young people take control of that party, the better for all but the deadman walking conservatives that conserve nothing and accelerate the apocalyptic doom approaching civilized life.

Reactions: TheHateMachine

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Only fools predict the weather or presume to know the reasoning behind anything President Bloviating Assflap Flim Flam Carnival Barker Con Man Tax Fraud Tweeter & Thief says.
Pelosi is a completely Corporrupt Democrat, a useless throw-back to a political organization that has lost its way and no longer serves anyone or anything but its own self-interests along with the aggregation of power and wealth.
The sooner young people take control of that party, the better for all but the deadman walking conservatives that conserve nothing and accelerate the apocalyptic doom approaching civilized life.
Taking a gander at T_D on Reddit, they all think this is a master-stroke ruseman 15DD chess move right here. They g gotta protect that ego after losing the house.

Also, nice string of adjectives there, made me chuckle.

Reactions: FreemanW

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Was Pelosi an issue in the mid-terms?
Her name always gets trotted out when they want to create fear among the MAGAts.

"If you vote for Edward D. Democrat, you'll be returning Nancy Pelosi :eek: to power!" (Cue lightning and Transylvanian organ music.)

My thought is that, unfair or not, she's been demonized for so long that she's just an easy target for the Republicans to use to tar the Democrats. I'd like to see newer blood. That doesn't mean she shouldn't have a leadership role. Few if any in the Democratic party know the ins and outs of Congress the way Nancy does. Might not be a bad time for her to pass on her wisdom and experience to the next generation.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
This isn't a good time for a fight. This is a good time for a productive discussion. What Trump wants is irrelevant.

Reactions: Thomas Veil

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Damn, dude.. Tell us how you really feel. :p:D

BL.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
There isn't enough booze in the world one man can consume and even begin to understand POTUS let alone most if not all of DC.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Hmmmmmm........

Lyin' Ted
Low Energy Jeb
Little Marco
Crazy Joe (Biden)
Little Rocket Man

Personally I think he is an equal opportunity insulter.
I agree, but also vehemently disagree. He is much more vicious and malicious towards women than men.

Case in point: calling out Megyn Kelly's questions by questioning a woman's reproductive cycle that brought him his children, attacking a woman's looks, etc.

He is much more sinister towards women than men.

BL.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
He doesn’t

He just wants to be able to say; “Chuck and Nancy”.

He couldn’t get anything done with a loaded house, so he’ll feel at least a little well to blame things coming up on her.

And there is a lot coming down the pike

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
He may well need to cut some deals across the aisle. Keep Pelosi interested in doing that and maybe she stays uninterested in totting up how much of the House feels like impeaching him and then asking Schumer to check out the numbers on his side for prospects of a Senate trial.

Trump's not a brilliant policy man when it comes to US domestic and international affairs, but he's got street smarts about protecting his tenure in office up to a point, including Kavanaugh, Whitaker,,,, check,,,, check,,,, so the Dem leaders in Congress are the next problems to tackle. Sure McConnell's still got the Senate but with the incoming Congress split now, the minority leader has a little more clout than during the run of the 115th Congress. So we can expect Trump to have some nice words ready for Schumer, too, whenever it seems opportune.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
He may well need to cut some deals across the aisle.
Trump doesn't know how to do that. Remember, he liked DACA.. he wanted a bipartisan bill. Dems traded border wall funding for DACA. Bipartisan effort, just as he requested. He turned it down.

Trump does NOT care about the border, illegal immigration, republicans, taxes, healthcare.... this is a man who cares what YOU will do for him NOW. Verbally jerk him off, kiss his ass, etc. Tell him he's great.

He has no goals, no plans. He has his rallies so he can satisfy that scratch he has. Its his drug, that adrenaline rush of a room full of white people wearing his comically oversized hats cheering him on.

So, I hope they just investigate him and expose his white collar crime family.