Why does YouTube not let us cache videos ? In the App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Oct 9, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I mean if the wifi goes out or we have limited data. It's not fair if we have to load it all over again just to watch it. I am pretty sure many people love using youtube as a background app.

----------

Some apps used to but not anymore :mad:

2. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

I use "McTube" and you can easily cache videos. https://appsto.re/us/qaQ3M.i

3. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It worked perfectly until today for the old version
    It doesn't cache anymore. It is my most used app

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I don't think you can download videos for playback without any data connection. It does allow you put to videos in a folder, but you still have to stream it.

I believe it used to let you download videos though. There are a number of apps the provided the same option, but I don't think they can anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Looking at the reviews, it looks like you can't download YouTube videos. Looks like some update to the app no longer has "cashe" or "my videos" which I assume is the downloading of YouTube videos.

Anyone else know of any free apps that can download YouTube videos?

Thanks

6. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

I guess my app just hasn't updated. I can still cache. I'll make sure not to update

7. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It still can but for some stupid reason now you can do it only from a list such as the search results and not from the video page itself. Look for that little button that gives you options for each item on the list.

8. DelMac macrumors regular

here you go. The creator had to take the cache function off but it can easily be brought back. Someone posted how to do it awhile back on here. McTube is a great app. I never go through Youtube.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1764750

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Ads. My workaround is to use Firefox on my Mac and install an extension for downloading youtube videos as MP4 and then transfer the video to my phone. Yes, it's very cumbersome...!

p.s. Thanks for the McTube hack above I will give it a try.

10. brand, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

brand macrumors 601

brand

Next are you going to start crying, then throw yourself on the ground and have a tantrum. People's entitlement issues have to stop. You are using a free service so you get what they are offering you, if you don't like it use some other service to watch videos on.

On the other hand you could write a letter to Larry Page telling him how you don't think that it is fair and he might change it especially for you. :rolleyes:

11. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

[​IMG]

God I love this response <3

Wish you tailored/pasted it in every entitlement thread on the forum...

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Was that really necessary?

Granted, I wouldn't' have used the word "fair" because it IS a free services so you really have no right to complain, but this is an annoyance that you're faced with. I don't think you needed to be so snarky.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

The way he worded it, yes it was necessary. If he had worded it differently he might have gotten a different response.