Why doesn’t Apple usually sell sim-free at pre-order or launch?

xxray

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I know all phones are unlocked but if I wanted to preorder an X today, I couldn’t even do it without signing up through a carrier. It’s disappointing. Is this just because more phones sell through carriers or what? What are my options for working around this while still preordering?

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Does buying the X outright at fill price off my Verizon account from Apple connect the phone/sim to my account?

If I end up giving/selling to a friend, do they have any connection/access/limitation?

Kermy

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
My personal opinion is that it helps keep scalpers down. By tying the phone to a network, there is less chance some guy has 50 different aliases buying phones to sell on eBay.
^---Yep what he said.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Probably a carrier deal, but you can buy the T Mobile version without a carrier, but it only works on at&t or T Mobile.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
You could buy a t-mobile phone without proving they were your carrier. All the others had a carrier verification.

I suspect this is why it sold out the fastest. I wonder how many launch day phones they had because myself and others that I read all saw a delivery date between November 10-17 as soon as we got in the store.

I still could have gotten a sprint phone on launch day an hour after pre order if I still had an account from them and this morning there were still apple stores offering launch day pickups for sprint phones.

RedRabbits

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Glen Ellyn, IL
Carrier deal... the phones need a network, so they cut a deal with them. Also, something like 80% of phones are bought through carrier vs. directly from Apple.

xxray

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Probably a carrier deal, but you can buy the T Mobile version without a carrier, but it only works on at&t or T Mobile.
You could buy a t-mobile phone without proving they were your carrier. All the others had a carrier verification.

I suspect this is why it sold out the fastest. I wonder how many launch day phones they had because myself and others that I read all saw a delivery date between November 10-17 as soon as we got in the store.

I still could have gotten a sprint phone on launch day an hour after pre order if I still had an account from them and this morning there were still apple stores offering launch day pickups for sprint phones.
Yeah I wouldn't buy the T-Mobile version since it doesn't work on all networks. I switch carriers somewhat often, so I'd want the phone to be able to be used on T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Does buying the X outright at fill price off my Verizon account from Apple connect the phone/sim to my account?

If I end up giving/selling to a friend, do they have any connection/access/limitation?
If you end up selling it, you need the SIM card. Otherwise when they turn it on, it will activate that SIM card to your number.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I know all phones are unlocked but if I wanted to preorder an X today, I couldn’t even do it without signing up through a carrier. It’s disappointing. Is this just because more phones sell through carriers or what? What are my options for working around this while still preordering?
The iPhone 8 and 8+ from the beginning were available as sim free will work with all include CDMS the iPhone X factory unlock for GSM will work with all but ATT and T Mobil will not have CDMS

FunkyTang

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
SIM free is the scalper' favorite. That's why they delay it a month or two. Except for the 8 which had low demand and high supply.