Why doesn't Apple hold all phones until they can fulfil every order at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Say, deliver everyone's phone some time in November. That way everyone can be happy at once and feel equal.

I think it's awesome and I'm sure you will too. Post below to let me know how much you agree, then I will send your enthusiastic remarks to my man Timmeh Cook.

jonbravo77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Say, deliver everyone's phone some time in November. That way everyone can be happy at once and feel equal.

I think it's awesome and I'm sure you will too. Post below to let me know how much you agree, then I will send your enthusiastic remarks to my man Timmeh Cook.
Sorry, but you won't be able to send this to Mr. Cook because I am not going to give in to what you want, people who only agree with you. To hold all phones until they can fulfill all order is not economically, or logistically feasible. How is Apple supposed to anticipate how well the new device will be accepted and how many orders will be placed and for what quantities those orders will need? Just not a practical business plan, and life is not fair and equal. Sorry to birst that bubble.

varun14

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
Nah, I think I'll just get mine on launch day as a reward for waking up and buying my phone the moment pre-orders began!

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Actually, to fill every order, they would have to wait longer than that.

Then, they would not be able to do it anyways, because slamming 10 million phones into UPS and FEDEX in one day would cripple them.

Call you buddy Tim and ask him for your job back.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
That's stupid. Say, you need 100 airplanes worth of iPhones from China to US to fulfill all orders, how is it smart from a logistics and warehouse management standpoint to delay each cargo just so they can all go out on the same day?

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Sorry, but you won't be able to send this to Mr. Cook because I am not going to give in to what you want, people who only agree with you. To hold all phones until they can fulfill all order is not economically, or logistically feasible. How is Apple supposed to anticipate how well the new device will be accepted and how many orders will be placed and for what quantities those orders will need? Just not a practical business plan, and life is not fair and equal. Sorry to birst that bubble.
Damn. What if I said God can do you a favour? Would you agree then?

----------

That's stupid. Say, you need 100 airplanes worth of iPhones from China to US to fulfill all orders, how is it smart from a logistics and warehouse management standpoint to delay each cargo just so they can all go out on the same day?
Yes good idea. Lets do it.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
How does this benefit Apple? If they had figured out a way, they would have.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If they did it would be horrible publicity as they would have to delay the launch. While some people hold off on upgrades to be able to order at launch so the biggest demand is then there would always be new orders coming in at least until people got so tied with having to wait forever that they switched to other phones. Plus it would be ridiculously expensive to create enough space to store that many iPhones for such a long time.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
If they did it would be horrible publicity as they would have to delay the launch. While some people hold off on upgrades to be able to order at launch so the biggest demand is then there would always be new orders coming in at least until people got so tied with having to wait forever that they switched to other phones. Plus it would be ridiculously expensive to create enough space to store that many iPhones for such a long time.
But in the name of Jesus, do you agree in principle it's a good idea?

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Where would they store all the phones?
Forget that carriers also are selling orders and have their own requirements to fulfil and as others have said before you would overload the courier systems completely.

Even if God did a favour in allowing it all to happen it would simultaneously cripple economies across the world with every phone being delivered on the same day at the same time with all the people taking time off work to receive / collect

Let alone that it would cripple the carriers/apple servers having all the phones activate at once!

Nah man not a good idea. Better to fulfil orders as and when you can with the available resource you have

Last edited:

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Where would they store all the phones?
Forget that carriers also are selling orders and have their own requirements to fulfil and as others have said before you would overload the courier systems completely.

Even if God did a favour in allowing it all to happen it would simultaneously cripple economies across the world with every phone being delivered on the same day at the same time with all the people taking time off work to receive / collect

Nah man not a good idea. Better to fulfil orders as and when you can with the available resource you have
rui no onna says we can put them in 100 planes.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
rui no onna says we can put them in 100 planes.
Dude, seriously? Since I don't work for Apple's supply and distribution, I have no idea and how many planes, ships, trucks, etc will be required. :rolleyes:

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
No, Apple should be maximizing profits through its phones. Delaying shipments doesn't do that.
What if we just put all the early orders in hard to reach places and people had to go and get them.

It would take them so long that by that time the next batch of orders could be delivered directly to people. Done well, they would all be getting phones around the same time.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You don't believe we should be maximizing happiness through Apple phones?
Apple's goal is to maximize profits. And if you are wanting to make as may people happy then you get them the phones as soon as possible rather than delaying most people's phones to get them all out at the same time if that was even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.