Why doesn't Apple make the iPhone wider?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, just curious does it have anything to do with resolution?

I don't get why make it longer and not wider, if even it was as very small margn to length and width

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Because that's the way they wanted to design it if the rumored phone is the actual device.

Of course it has something to do with the resolution, why else would they decide to do it? /thread

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Because, if the rumors are true, Apple is moving from the current 3:2 ratio to Widescreen 16:9.... and the easiest way to do that without messing up everything already out is to simply add length to the existing screen.

This way, it (should) be easy enough for them to simply pillarbox existing apps until they are designed for the new resolution.

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If they go wider, they lose 'retina'. Yeah, I know it's a made up term, but now Apple is stuck with it and it appears that they will not let it drop under 300ppi.

I pray I'm wrong but it looks like we'll be getting a little TV remote of a phone while Apple shouts from the mountain tops "we have 4" too!", however worthless the vertical stretch ends up being.

5. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

What everyone said, plus ergonomics, you have to remember iPhone is one device, and it has to be used comfortably by men, women and kids too.

6. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

Coz Apple don't have any money left. They broke.

7. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

*Insert facepalm*

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Fear of more fragmentation is really holding Apple back.

Minimizing fragmentation has it's pluses, of course, but it also has its downsides. Apple has to constantly bare in mind not to "mess things up for their old lineups" when coming up with new products.

Win some and lose some?

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Call Tim Cook and ask him.

Or...

Do a search and see this topic has in fact been beaten to death.

10. charlesdayton, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Please Arn, brign back the downvote button!

And to answer the OP: Most phones today (android, Windows,etc.) are using 16:9 as well as movies. If the rumors are true Apple is simply moving to 16:9. But keeping the phone close to the ideal width. This results in a 4" screen similar in size to most competing phones. but with higher resolution.

I don't get the many complains about it being elongated, when other phones have the same aspect ratio and nobody complains.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

If Apple ever went with a wider android type phone like the Samsung offerings, I will really consider the two below...

3.7 inch Nokia 800 on left and a 4 inch from Sony Xperia P on right. Both look very mature and a grown up appearance.

Attached Files:

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would expect they have spent considerable time trying to decide the right mix of size based on

resolution
    layout as it relates to other devices - ipad,older phones, etc
    perceived market value (wider or narrow is better?)
    engineering (layout of everything inside)
    cost
    etc
    etc

13. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That Lumia 800 looks slick. Sadly, not sold in the USA. The 3.7" display would do wonders for the image clarity, which is a problem for the 4.3" Lumia 900 in the USA.

Though, I suppose Windows 8 will fix that with HD displays.

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

A) This "leaked" new iPhone has not been confirmed by Apple in any way, and I would not be surprised at all if it's not the real deal. The media had me believing there would be a major redesign last year complete with leaked parts, cases, and assemblies. What we got was the iPhone 4S (which is fine, I still like the design).

B) Apple has very good reasons for whatever design they come up with. Personally, I don't care if the screen gets bigger or not, but people will form their own opinions on that. Apparently phones are now supposed to look like gigantic cinder blocks, so I guess the bigger screen will please some.

C) If the new iPhone is simply taller and not wider, I don't think it's going to look like a remote control as some of you seem to think. They will stretch the phone itself a little bit, but they also have room to work with on the current design.

I guess my point is, believe NOTHING until you see the actual phone. I don't even officially believe the September 12th date, but the fact that Jim Dalrymple gave it a "yep" is a pretty good sign.

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

:D

They are now Technarchy... ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-black-FACTORY-UNLOCKED/dp/B0067M9JBQ

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/buy/7/details.aspx?id=1753

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1&XID=O:XPLT22SI:ggle:df&CAWELAID=1439295533

17. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's funny you mention those models, because the current iPhone screen is wider than both of those.

18. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I dont mind the width of the iPhone. I hate wide phones. It's so weird, phones used to have the trend of getting smaller, and now they are getting big again. Not that I want my phone to be teeny, I just don't get the fuss about phone/screen sizes and why everyone prefers a huge display. I think the iPhone size is perfect. Maybe this is because my last phone had a 1.5" screen on the front.