Why doesn't Apple round the edges?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walkman, Sep 21, 2012.

1. walkman macrumors member

They make such a big deal out of rounded corners. I think the iPhone would be more comfortable to hold if they didn't have the sharp/beveled edges along the sides. I'm not suggesting they go back to the iP3's, but a micro-curve instead of micro-bevel seems like a better idea.

With the thinner size and lighter weight it isn't as much an issue as with the iP4's. The sharp edge on the iPad 3 also makes it uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I actually agree with this. It doesn't really bother me but it would likely be a welcome addition to the design for the reasons above.

3. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

This bothers me a lot. I hope it's better with the iPhone 5. If UPS would ever get here I would know!

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, round edges would be nice

I agree. The main reason I used a case on my iPhone 4 was the edges were not comfortable. The lighter weight and slimmer size of the iP5 makes it a lot more comfortable so I am tempted to use it without a case, but I agree it would be much more so if the edges were round.

I can think of 2 reasons of having straight bevels as the iP5 does now:

1) sharper, more well defined looking.
    2) for a round bevel to be effective, it needs a larger radius (larger round over) to work with. Doing so interfere with the side buttons. Perhaps they can round the buttons too.