Why doesn't iPhone have stereo speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dxyovak, Aug 4, 2013.

1. dxyovak macrumors newbie

I love having stereo speakers to listen to podcasts etc without having to use earphones. Plus stereo speakers make it enjoyable to play mp3 music samples as an Alarm Clock in the morning, not to mention the advantage it gives when using the phone as a Speaker-phone.

the iPhone not having stereo speakers keeps me from using it in all the ways I would like to use the phone.

Anybody know why Apple hasn't incorporated stereo speakers into the phone? Why stay with mono?

2. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Because it gives them something to add in the future so people go buy a new phone.

3. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Two words.....real estate .....stero speakers could only be placed on the bottom of the current models one inch apart and they would have to be smaller than the current speaker...give me one great speaker ...not two puny ones with no separation ....

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Bingo Bango Bongo.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Because even stereo speakers would sound awful. The space they would take up and the impact on the design would not be worth it IMHO and Apples opinion as well.
    If you want to listen to music use external speakers or headphones.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I'd agree if phone(s) with stereo speakers didn't sound so much better then an iPhone.

I think its something we'll see if the future. Not quite yet though.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm all for better sound from an iPhone.. Hope to see something in the future.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, an audiophile. so if my question is dumber than usual...be gentle.

Isn't the advantage of stereo partially a function of speaker separation? If so, doesn't the small size of the iPhone minimize or eliminate the advantages of stereo speakers?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, it kind of does. ;)

10. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I agree. I'd like to see stereo speakers soon; why not build in the microphone to one of them, if at all possible?

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Not possible to eclipse the microphone on the speaker

12. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Because you shouldn't play your crap songs on your phone speaker for all to hear.

No one cares that you rally love this song and that's why you walk around with it blazing out of the tinny, poor range phone speaker.

Plus, you need distance between the speakers to make the stero effect, the iPhone is too small to have that.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

While I highly doubt this is the ACTUAL reason we don't have stereo sound on an iPhone, I completely agree with this sentiment. Idiot kids playing their music on the train home from work thinking I actually want to listen to it. Simply disrespectful.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I can clearly remember when gigantic boom boxes, the bigger the better, were popular.

Now there was a delight! If you think the annoyance from a puny little phone is bad...try a huge boom box cranked up to max volume!:eek:

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am happy to be too young to have ever had to have dealt with this. :)

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

YES. This is 100% correct. Placing stereo speakers on a phone is just plain silly. There is no way one earth it could work on a pocket sized phone

The sound quality of any speker depends on its physical size. So if there were space for two speakers, Apple would be smarter to use that space for one larger speaker and get better over all sound.

But there is not way to get the speakers far enough apart for stereo to "work" on a phone

17. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Most people use headphones while traveling. While at home most use a Bluetooth speaker or dock. Where is there a need to use steep speakers on a phone??

18. dxyovak thread starter macrumors newbie

I said this in my original post: Alarm Clock, listening to Podcasts, Speaker-phone (live calls, voicemail).

Then why does my 2x4x13/32 inch Sony Walkman NWZ-S544 with stereo speakers sound SO much better than the iPhone? And the iPhone speaker phone can be used for a whole heck of a lot more things than the Sony Walkman; hence, even more reason to have stereo speakers.

Sony Walkman specs: http://store.sony.com/p/walkman/en/p/NWZS544REDBB#specifications

I find it incredibly convenient to not have to carry around headphones/earphones/external-speakers and still be able to listen to a podcast from my device. There are numerous places I go where I am alone and not disturbing anyone when I listen to something on speaker-phone.

19. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

And u would be part of a minority group. And this is why apple has not put stereo on iOS devices + other features/gimmicks.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Ever see in the inside of an iPhone. There's no space without a radical redesign.

21. avanpelt macrumors 68020

If you really want great stereo sound from your iPhone without using headphones, there are plenty of great options in the AirPlay speaker department. I suggest that the OP investigate that avenue instead of continuing on a quest to get great stereo separation from a phone.

22. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

LOL it's not because there are TWO of them!It's because they are BETTER(and probably bigger).

23. cynics macrumors G3

This is not true.

When two microphones are used, each channel is a single, complete monophonic signal documenting every bit of the particular sound event, but each from a slightly different position.

Stereo speakers can better transmit this then using a single speaker.

Separation of the speakers is of no different then standing outside the sweet spot of any stereo system. So try this. Using your sound sound or a stereo stand off to the side where the sound isn't as full and giving the feeling of depth. Then switch between mono and stereo/surround. Even without being in the sweet spot (little no speaker separation) it sounds better on stereo.

Again why the HTC one has such good sound compared to the iPhone.

24. Mrbobb macrumors 601

In the Apple's World, aesthetic, battery life, which fight for real estate, will always have priority over built-in stereo spkrs.

25. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

clearly you've never come across the htc one.

the iphone sounds like an old 8-bit game compared to it.

but of course, just because the iphone doesnt have it its useless and a waste of valuable space.... until its introduced to one of their future phones. then it will be the most epic experience yet.