Why doesn't the LTE data indication spin quicker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrakeMcEachern, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

When phones are on edge, GPRS, or 1X networks, the spinning icon indicating an active data session spin very slowly. When on 3G or LTE, the indicator spins quicker. Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the spinning indicator spin quicker when connected to LTE? Maybe it will on the next generation of networks, LTE-A?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the spin its just an indicator that its pulling data.
    Its not a speedometer where the faster it goes around the faster your data speed is.

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Actually it does spin slower when you're on EDGE/GPRS/1X.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Huh. You learn something every day (phones sold here after a certain date - including mine - didn't have access to 1x as they were phasing it out).

5. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm saying. In theory, when connected to a 4G network, it would spin quicker than when on 3G

----------

I'm almost positive this isn't right. All iPhones (CDMA) have 1X as it is a CDMA standard for voice.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

They simply have two speeds for it. As you noticed. 3G and LTE are considered fast data speeds so they spin the same even though lte is a lot faster in reality. But i see what you are saying.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I didn't word my statement well. Telecom here in NZ essentially ended up running two networks in parallel where older phones would connect to legacy CDMA2000 equipment but newer ones to WCDMA. All phones sold after a certain date had to be able to connect to the new network and were blocked from accessing the old one. EVDO disappeared a few years ago followed by the rest of it last year. Now we have a single WCDMA network providing the convenience of WCDMA, with the congestion of Sprint. :rolleyes:

Alas, I live behind a hill and nobody else has coverage here. But I digress...

8. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I understand!

9. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

alot of this so call LTE is based off of 3G. LTE advanced will actually be true 4G.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

True but it's still not a speedometer. EDGE is faster than GPRS yet they spin at the same speed, right?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting, I never noticed it:)

12. cynics macrumors G3

13. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

All WiFi isn't created equal. :)

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My LTE is considerably faster than my home WIFI network. Fortunately I'm still milking the AT&T unlimited data cow from years past. :D

15. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

Those 5GB of data must be great. Lol. I pulled down 22 GB off my VZW unlimited last month. :D

16. cynics macrumors G3

True.

I've seen HPSA+ 4G faster the LTE in certain areas too.

So there you go. Doesn't spin faster because its not always as fast. :)

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Same here.. I get 20Mbps/2Mbps down/up with Time Warner, and I can easily pull 25-30Mbps/8-10Mbps down/up with AT&T LTE, upwards to 50Mbps down. Crazy to think about how much I actually spend on home internet, and how much faster cellular is fiber! I've been playing with fire with my unlimited plan lately though. Just breaking 5GB, so far no text or throttling..

OP: Very interesting observation. I never thought about it, but LTE should spin faster.. It makes perfect sense!

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I don't keep track of the data I use but I've never had a problem with throttling or warning texts so yes, they are perfect. :)

20. bestvacuumclean macrumors newbie

ios7 can update yet