Why doesn't unused monthly data rollover?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Oct 16, 2011.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

With the major wireless companies going to tiered pricing only, how come they don't let you rollover your unused data for the month?

The 2gb plan looks great now because a lot of people only use the iPhone for email and occasional web surfing and don't go over 2gb a month, but in the future there are going to be apps we can't even imagine yet and we will go over 2gb regularly and have to buy more data so the wireless companies basically have us right where they want us. Happy now with the inevitable ability of being able to charge us even more in the future.

It would be nice to have the peace of mind of rolling over the unlimited monthly data that you don't use. Like if you only use 1gb of your 2gb of data a month, the next month you should have 3gb available to use and so on and so on.

Could you ever see the wireless companies doing this?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Because they don't have to. Can you name any data provider that offers rollover?

3. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

at&t offers rollover data for their prepaid option, but not post paid.

i agree the data should rollover like minutes, but, there isn't a lot of motivation for at&t to do so at this point.

4. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Bill, I can't name any provider who does. Hence the reason I asked if they ever would, because, ya know, they currently don't. Did the thread title ask which data provider does? I don't think it did. Double check for me.

But it would be a nice option, like minutes, to have the data you PAID for, but DIDN'T USE to be available the next month.

5. kingdLo macrumors 6502

It'd be great, i think I have 6k in rollover minutes.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

No doubt it would be great. It's very unlikely to happen though.

7. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

I think once we start using all of our 2gb data allotment, people will start getting more vocal about keeping rollover data. We already paid for it. We should get to keep what we don't use.

8. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

couldn't agree more.

9. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

AT&T is now charging even more for data.

I feel bad for the people who willingly gave up their unlimited plans on the basis that they didn't use 2GB then so they thought they would NEVER use enough data to warrant an unlimited plan.

As you all can see, more data is being used and it will continue to be used even more now that everything is becoming digital.

Hopefully AT&T finally lets unused data rollover the way minutes do. I mean, you're paying for it.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

People are being trained by ATT (and other providers) to use wifi anywhere and everywhere they can. I think you are likely right, but it's likely not around the corner. Furhtermore, if people are consistently using their 2gb plans, wouldn't that mean there is no rollover data to adsorb? Not being smart, just critical. :)

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Two contracts ago I had just such a plan....With O2 here in the UK, but no more. If you don't use it, it's gone. Carriers here also dislike customers who don't buy phones from them.

I'm thinking Giff Gaff this time around. Prices seem good, and I can have a rolling contract. Friends give good reports regarding service coverage etc.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I feel sorry for buying what I have never used. I have kept the unlimited plan for months and months and use it less and less. When I first got the iPad WiFi was not a prevalent as it is today.

Almost every where I now use my iPad there is open WiFi for me to use. 3G is also slow a pi$$ compared to WiFi. Not sure how much longer I will keep this unlimited thing for my iPad.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Those sims sell for ~$500 on eBay fyi. You will get back a lot of the money you feel you dumped down the drain that way. ;)

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

SIMS?

It works differently here on this side of the pond, the SIM card does not "buy" you the opportunity to get a unlimited plan.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ah sorry. I assumed you were on ATT. For the iPad, the sim has the plan attached to it since it is a pay as you go.

16. j-bros macrumors newbie

Cell phone service providers are thieves!!!

VERIZON, SPRINT, TMOBILE, BELL, ROGERS, TELUS and ALL the rest are THIEVES nickle and dimeing Americans and Canadians at EVERY SINGLE opportunity! So WHY can't UNUSED MINUTES and UNUSED DATA be carried over to the next month? Do you HAVE TO return unused crackers and paper towels to SAFEWAY OR COSTCO if you haven't used them for a month after buying them? The policy of making unused minutes and unused data EXPIRE AT THE END OF ONE MONTH, is a TOTAL RIP OFF AND SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!! Where's the CRTC when CANADIANS REALLY NEED THEM! Show me which companies in the world repossess an item you have bought and paid for after a month of non-use of that item. BELL/VIRGIN, ROGERS/FIDO, TELUS and the others are OUTRIGHT THIEVES! You pay for your minutes and data every month. BOUGHT AND PAID FOR MINUTES AND DATE BELONG TO YOU and SHOULD ROLL-OVER to subsequent months!!!!

----------

1-buy a NEW CAR but if you don't use it for a month then the car company has the right to repossess it?
    2-buy 7 apples; if you only eat 6 in 1 month then the grocery store has the right to repossess your 7th apple??

Who comes up with this logic?
    EVEN WORSE, some of us ACTUALLY SEE LOGIC in this because we have become well trained little slaves who agree with the cell phone companies.

WHY HAVE I NEVER HAD ANY COMPANY COME REPOSSESS ANY ITEM I EVER BOUGHT FROM THEM AFTER 1 MONTH OF NOT USING THAT ITEM!

BECAUSE IT'S F%^*&@ ILLEGAL! THAT'S WHY!

JUST BECAUSE I BUY A DIGITAL GOOD DOES NOT MEAN A COMPANY HAS THE RIGHT TO MAKE MY DIGITAL GOOD DISAPPEAR IF I DON'T USE IT.

Does this mean that if I don't boot up Windows or OS X during a 30 day period MICROSOFT and APPLE have the right to make my software expire??

How many WINDOWS and APPLE users would stand for that???

17. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

What's this? I have unlimited data and I'm with at&t What sims are you talking about? :confused:

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

Umm...you are asking the carriers to do something that would save consumers money? Not going to happen. They all do the same thing and since there is no real competition, why should they change?

19. TheProFTW macrumors regular

I've never heard.a carrier going rollover dara

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

You buy 7 apples and only get a chance to eat 6 and then the last one goes bad and you can't eat it. What's that all about?! Come on nature, what's up with taking away that apple that was paid for?

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

22. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

While yes it would be nice if we had rollover data but I don't think it is the near future if at all. Carriers want you to find the "need" to jump to a better data plan rather than downsizing. If you downsized with this rollover plan that is not saving them money only just you, keep in mind they are not on your side. Nice idea but probably not happening.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

"Sims" was the wrong terminology. The account is what people are willing to pay for. Officially speaking AT&T won't allow transfers like this, but plenty have gotten them to go through.

24. j-bros macrumors newbie

dear iPhonemaster5S,
    I DID stress that some of us have adopted the cell phone providers' logic and you seem to be a prime example. OF COURSE the phone companies are NOT on our side! DUH! So you're just going to accept that and live with it? Sheep!

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For data? None. Minutes? AT&T. Although Rollover at this point in time is a useless feature at best since many plans have unlimited texts+minutes at very affordable rates.