Why Don't apple ship new ipod touch with Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thefatmould, May 31, 2009.

1. thefatmould macrumors member

Why don't apple ship the new ipod touch with the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic URL="http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MTczMjUyMg"]http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MTczMjUyMg[/URL] instead of building a microphone in.

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Because they want to milk every bloody cent out of us. Makes perfect business cents to me.;) Sucks but so do many other things in life.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Since they're shipping with the new shuffles, I'd guess that they'll be standard on the next generation of any iPod that doesn't already come with them.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

There's no mic on shuffle earphones.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Plus they're kinda necessary considering the shuffle itself has no buttons...I dont see Apple killing the click wheel any time soon (even if they kill the Classic they'll keep the nano).

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Really, they've got three headphones now? The original ones, the iPhone/iPod touch ones w/ the mic + remote control, and the Shuffle with just remote control but no mic? Crazy that'd make another spot in their crazy-ass supply chain for such a low-volume part!

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And don't forget the in-ear ones with remote and mic.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Seems like another silly nickel and dime game but I know for a fact my Shuffle's included phones don't have a mic. Now going through Apple's Store, I didn't see an option to purchase a set without mic. Not saying it's not there, just didn't find it. I'm sure that eventually they'll include the remote phones but why make a set without mic?

But in answer to your question, yes they are manufacturing three remote versions exactly as you described.

Can you even buy the old style without remote now? if so, they'd be manufacturing four types.

9. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

By providing as few accessories as humanly possible, they save money. If it came with a whole bunch of accessories (dock, case, earbuds with remote and mic etc...), then they would have to charge more and it would not seem like a good deal to most.

I remember the good old days back when Apple provided everything imaginable with the iPod. My 3G iPod back in 2003 came with a dock, a case, a pouch for the earbuds, a firewire cable, a 6-pin to 4-pin firewire adapter, earbuds with a remote, and plastic covers for the dock connecter. Though, it did cost over $500...

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

$500 in 2003 works out to be worth $584 in 2008. Yipes, iPods were expensive!

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You forgot two pair of foamy cushions that went over the earpieces. ;)