Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sid91

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
I mean JFC! any time I browse web pages in landscape or after playing a game, the screen just switches to vertical orientation after switching to these apps or even to the home screen. Why u do this Apple?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That’s certainly for the individual developers to answer - but if you look at usage from the other end… have you ever realized how many crappy vertical videos people end up doing? They don’t shoot vertical because it deliberately looks crappy on any widescreen monitor, but they find the phone easier to hold that way.

I’m sure the same will apply to most other apps.

Sid91

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
That’s certainly for the individual developers to answer - but if you look at usage from the other end… have you ever realized how many crappy vertical videos people end up doing? They don’t shoot vertical because it deliberately looks crappy on any widescreen monitor, but they find the phone easier to hold that way.

I’m sure the same will apply to most other apps.
But this is still so irritating, can’t Apple implement a system wide landscape mode?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
But this is still so irritating, can’t Apple implement a system wide landscape mode?

The options to use landscape are there for each developer to use or ignore. I don’t think Apple can force them to make landscape apps.

Apple themselves had landscape mode for the Home Screen on some devices in the past but with the launch of the notch iPhones that went away. Plenty of Apple’s apps still use landscape mode though, so not all is lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.