Why don't birthdays show on iPhone iCal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soonadog, Nov 6, 2011.

1. soonadog macrumors member

On my iMac I enter birthdays for some of my contacts in address book. When I open iCal on the iMac, it shows the birthdays.

But even after I sync the iCal with my iPhone, the birthdays don't show up on the iPhone iCal.

On the phone, I press "calendars" and there is a list "From My Mac" all checked (Home, Calendar and Work) and below, under "Other," it lists "Birthdays" and that is checked also.

So what am I missing?

2. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

3. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Are the contacts for whom you added birthday information on your phone? They show up on my calendars in iCal...

4. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the contacts are in my phone but I don't sync contacts between my iMac and my iPhone.

I never thought you could add a birthday to the iPhone contacts but I just saw that if you press "edit" in the iPhone contacts at the very bottom, there is "add field," and then there's a screen where you can add birthdays. Very cumbersome.

So that's it I guess - they weren't showing up because I don't sync contacts and the birthdays are all entered on my imac, not my phone. I thought by syncing calendars the birthday calendar would come along but it doesn't.

I guess I need to manually re-enter all birthdays on my iPhone. Sigh.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Why don't you sync your phone and your Mac? This would be the easiest way to get the birthdays on to your phone.

6. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Birthdays has it own calendar in iPhone go to calendars ands check it to display among the others. The birthdays have to be in your Contacts profiles and it automatically enters the info in calendar

7. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Yeah, the birthday entries on calendars is not from actual birthday entries, but is taken from contacts.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

There is no need to bump.

9. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

1. I don't sync contacts between my iMac and my iPhone because my Mac has tons of work-related and other miscellaneous contacts, most of which are just email addresses, and I don't want/need them on my phone getting in the way when I scroll down through contacts looking for phone numbers. Most of my phone contacts, in fact, are just phone numbers, and not email addys too.

2. Until yesterday, I didn't see where to enter birthdays in my iPhone contacts, so i thought it had to go through my iMac - it's not exactly easy to find, being under "add field" and then scrolling down through a lot of very unlikely stuff.

3. Sorry to bump, thanks for pointing that out.