why dont liberals care about...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Obama's terrorist connections?

just curious

this is not an anti Obama thread so, dont attack me, just tell me why no one seems to care about it, to me its kinda scary...

it seems to me the biggest thing about being president is surrounding yourself with good advisors, and so far his choice in friends doesn't seem so hot

2. Queso macrumors G4

Because liberals know that Obama is far from perfect....

...but still infinitely better than the negative, obsessive and downright incapable alternative.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

because wed rather focus on his plans and policies for the future rather than dwell on 40 years ago.

4. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Why can't McCain and friends focus on real issues?

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Mother of God, what don't you people get? Are the Republicans who served on that education board guilty of "palling around with terrorists?".

My friends dad was a member of the IRA, I suppose I'm a terrorist now too?

What choice of advisors do you disagree with? That's a legitimate complaint, not that terr'rist bollocks.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Friends? Really? I guess this is the biggest thing to me. All of the evidence I've seen doesn't add up to "friends." I've had to interact with some pretty questionable characters in my short life, but that doesn't mean I liked it or deserve to be judged by it. Why should Obama be any different? Now, if there were actually some evidence out there that Obama is like-minded, then I would start getting worried, but from what I've seen that evidence simply doesn't exist.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Also, why does the GOP seem so willing to overlook Mccains shady friends?

8. Queso macrumors G4

Or Bush's for that matter?

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

wasteland

Why don't YOU care about the hard work all the MODS do around here. You're contributing to it.

10. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

These 'terrorists' are not his advisors.

PS.

Ayers and Khalidi are terrorists. (major premise)
    All of Ayers and Khalidi's friends are terrorists. (minor premise)
    Obama is friends with Ayers and Khalidi, and therefore a terrorist. (conclusion)

This is a deductive fallacy. Begging the question.

11. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

see, thats the problem, we dont know enough about him to know his true self, if he would only hold office for more than a year before he started campaigning for the next, we could get a good feel for his real views on issues, rather than him just telling the american people what they want to hear

if it was just bill ayres, or just rev wright, that would be one thing, but it seems every week theres a new former terrorist that he is associated with...

and as far as Rev. Wright, he attended that church for 20 years TWENTY YEARS and only stopped when the negativity about it came out, this man just does what the public wants to see

i dont really like john McCain all that much, but he is a much better choice than a freshman senator that no one really knows

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What terrorist connections? Seriously. These claims are ridiculous.

Wait. Reverend Wright is a terrorist?

Please define what a terrorist is.

13. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

What don't you really know about him?

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They're not connections like in the way you think. I used to work with a guy that was arrested for stalking a colleague. That doesn't make me a stalker.

Did you watch the final debate? He sat there, in front of the American people and said:

Remember also that he's been endorsed by former Secretary of State, Colin Powell... a large number of national republican figures and a number of newspaper boards. I could go on... but I won't.

One important question: If I wanted to find out about you, would I go to you or your friends, or would I listen to your enemies? It's all trash talk.

He's been in the public eye for two years and has a record in the Senate. What don't you know about him?

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To say no one knows anything about Obama is a pathetic argument. There has been just as much, if not more, scrutiny and looking into his past than any other presidential candidate. Weve had two friggin years to get to know him.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because Obama doesn't have any.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The whole "palling around with terrorists" thing is dumb.

Friend of my family, he's the biggest Democrat you ever saw. You think we give Republicans a hard time? You should hear this guy.

Anyway, the way I heard the story, he was in some kind of federal office one day, and he made one of his intemperate cracks about -- I don't want to use the exact words, you never know who's listening -- about how someone "needs to" place a firearm projectile in Bush's cranium.

And he was overheard and reported to DHS, and now he's on the government's no-fly list.

Now, I know this guy. He's all mouth, he's just extremely biased. On top of everything else, he's so physically feeble he'd never get within 10 miles of Washington, let alone Dubya.

So: even though he's not a close friend of the family, by the same standard people like Palin apply to Obama, I am supposedly buddying up to a would-be terrorist.

It's that dumb.

18. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

If these so-called terrorist "connections" were of any, ANY importance, do you really think that two former presidents (Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter), two former vice presidents (Al Gore, Walter Mondale), 64 U.S. senators and former senators, 24 governors, 22 former governors, two former secretaries of state (Colin Powell, Madeline Albright), 74 Nobel laureates and thousands of other prominent figures in politics and business, along with hundreds of newspapers (including Financial Times), would put their good names on the line for Obama?

Do you know something they don't? Are you way more intelligent, experienced, wise and observant than all these people? Then why aren't you running for president?

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Apparently it comes down to what you think "associations" mean. To me an association is someone you are not close to and who you have happened to be in a class, on a board, or in a volunteer organization with.

I sat in classes for 12 years with someone who is now a convicted drug felon. I've even been to his house in the past. What does that say about me? Nothing.

Also, I take issue with your statement that all we know about him is what he tells us. Look at his record and find the extremism that points to his faults in character that have supposedly come out of these questionable associations. And I don't mean finding votes that you disagree with, I mean votes that point to tendencies for racial bias, terrorist tendencies, etc.

Lastly, I find it absolutely stunning that people think McCain's hands are cleaner than Obama's. McCain has just as many "questionable associations," even to Bill Ayers. What's more, McCain had a relationship that can actually be proven to have been a close friendship to Charles Keating, but no one on the right seems to mind. Why is that, tell me?

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sheesh. There you go again, using facts and stuff. What's this country coming to?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nail, meet hammer.

Seriously, this "terrorist connection" (Somewhere you'll find it, the terrorist connection/ the lovers, the dreamers, and meeeee...) is the clearest sign of desperation on the part of the GOP.

It's just sad that they're willing to sink to these depths in their quest for power, no matter what the cost to the nation. It's almost as if they put party before country...

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And the other thing... you think the Secret Service, the CIA and the FBI wouldn't be investigating him if these 'associations' mattered?

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We don't really know who Squeeks is, that's why.

25. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Why don't conservatives care about ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-dinges/mccain-meets-a-bloody-dic_b_137422.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/mccain-transition-chief-a_n_134595.html

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/102300/mccain's_dirty_domestic_terrorism_associations/

http://www.juancole.com/2008/10/mccain-funded-righwing-contra-death.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/02/politics/animal/main4407224.shtml

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/McCain_connections_coming_back_to_haunt_1007.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.