Why don't people use something like InvisibleSHIELD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason2811, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I keep hearing that the iPhone 5 scratches easily. Why don't people use something like InvisibleSHIELD to protect the entire phone from scratches? I'm considering buying it or something similar. Has anyone used this for another iPhone or can recommend something similar?

2. malpalurgal macrumors newbie

I've used it and found that I was going back to the kiosk every month to have it re-done. The corners always peeled up, or the area around the home button would peel up and collect dust. I was glad I didn't have to pay for it to be replaced but it was a hassle making my way back to the mall, and leaving my phone there for an hr as they were always so busy.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

deja vu !

Ive asked that same question hoping an owner who has applied the zagg style shield antenna band strips can comment on if it looks good !

4. appswipe macrumors 6502

With the tapered sides being the most common peeling point then the invisible shields wont necessarily cover it. And once you get a breaking point then the are is (potentially) going to get bigger.

That said, I havent used an invisible shield backing on a phone in quite a while but I ordered one for this. It probably wont last long because they do tend to peel, especially if you use a bumper.

5. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I just ordered a Body Guardz full body protector for my iPhone 5. I also ordered a Belkin Reveal case.

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

The problem I always had with them has been mentioned above. It seems to me that any "shield" or "armor" will always peel eventually. Especially if you keep your phone in your pocket. Taking it in and out of your pocket daily speeds up the peeling. They also always start looking grimy after a few weeks as the dirt and lint collect.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It only peels if you don't have a case. If you use a bumper or case and the front or back shield you will have no problem.

Without a case the edges will peel right up in no time.

You have to protect the exposed edges. :cool:

8. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

There's also that issue of the shield turning brown for a certain period of time after it has been on your phone for quite sometime.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So you have to protect the something that's supposed to protect your phone?

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Then you use life time replacement policy.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Well that made me smile !!

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

This. For the first month, invisishield worked great, but into the 2nd month, it started to peel, then air and dust got underneath and it really just went downhill from there.

13. 15danielp macrumors regular

I used a Powersupport skin, front and back for almost a year on my 4S. No pealing or discoloration. It has worn and acquired swirl marks you can see in the light. So a yearly re-application will keep your phone looking brand new.

When Powersupport releases the skin for the 5 I will be purchasing.

14. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I have always use one on my iphones but havent recieved mine for the iP5 yet.

This time I will have bestskinsever on the back and luckylabs on the sides and spigen on the front.

Of course any skin/sticker will peel off over time, this is why lucky labs sells them for 3/$9. It takes about 3 minutes to reapply and you can change the color if you want. I have had some last for a few months.

15. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Because some people don't like dousing their phone in a bed of liquid just to apply what is supposed to protect it, to the phone..

Also, with a water damage sticker right there in the sim tray.. good luck with that lol.

16. bassjunky macrumors regular

You don't douse your phone in a bed of liquid. If you did, you did it wrong. I've been using similar products for years (BSE, Wrapsol, etc..) They all work really well and still give you that naked feel while really protecting your device.

People give way too much of a crap about keeping their devices 100% pristine. I understand resale value, but it's a mobile phone...get real.

17. 2SwiFt29 macrumors regular

2SwiFt29

For me, the issue has always been the feeling of it as well as easy to peel and the shield getting yellow. Don't think I want to get it for the ip5.

18. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I actually have an HD invisibleshield on the front of my iphone 5 now and plan on putting the full body on when it arrives here via UPS on Friday

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I can keep my beautiful gadget wrapped in bubble wrap, or I can.. you know.. enjoy it.

20. scott99, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

scott99 macrumors 6502a

I have Ghost Armor on my Nexus 7, and man, if I don't tell anyone, they think my screen is naked. That thing is outstanding. Then again, I also have my Nexus 7 in a leather case also, so it's kinda like double protection. I've also used Invisible Shield and Clear Coat, and so far, Ghost Armor is my favorite. I will be getting one on my iPhone 5, when I get one.

21. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

Agree with the OP somewhat, but this still doesn't let Apple off the hook for the scratching/scuffing problems.

InvisibleShield from Zagg is terrible from my past experience of using it with my iPhone 4 - the orange peel effect was terrible. I would recommend something like the SGP Crystal screen protectors which lasted me for almost a year without any problems.

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I like iCarbons. Unlike clear shields, those type of skins hold up over time and don't fade or peel.

I like the two tone look though so not sure if I want to switch to carbon.

hmmm forgot about clear-coat. They were great.

23. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

By far the best product out there.

24. appswipe macrumors 6502

One concern I have with the invisible shield and new iPhone is that there is now a mic hole next to the camera. So installation with the water spray is much more likely to get in there.
    [​IMG]

25. bova80 macrumors 6502a

I installed the clear skins by bodyguardz (back and side) and it was pretty easy. They have a gel you spread on the back of the skin so it makes it easier to line up and move around. The sides don't require the gel and are also easy to put on. All and all I'm happy with it.