Why Don't They Make The MBP Power Adapters Out Of Something Else (Rubber)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, May 11, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I mean don't get me wrong, they are awesome

But they get dirty, and scratched. After only a couple weeks mine looks used and kinda bad. I try and keep ultra good care of it, but still...

What if they made the exterior of rubber, like the same stuff that the cord itself is? that way it can stay clean, not get scratched, and bounce...for safety?

If they made some type of rubber housing for them, I would buy it in 2 seconds.

I'm no electrical engineer btw, so be easy.

Rubber FTW
    --Easy to clean
    --Less breakable than plastic
    -- Stays looking in better condition

[​IMG]

2. iSushi macrumors newbie

i have yet to see a rubberized power adapter. as it can get pretty hot, i dont think it is a good outer shell for a power adapter.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Uh.

It seems to be working fine the way it is. It scratches just as easy as the computer.

They should make the computer out of rubber too.

4. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

The computer is made of aluminum, making the scratches harder to get, see, etc.

it is also easily cleaned.

White plastic is not that way at all

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Rubber gets dirtier. Go look at the bottom of a well-used unibody white MacBook sometime. They get FILTHY.

6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Oh, your talking bout the brick? Thought you meant the tip. I don't even know what mine looks like since I never move it.

7. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I can see the rubber causing overheating issues, or maybe even fires with the heat these power adapters put out.

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

rubber is a good insulator so the internals of the power supply would cook/fry/explode etc.

If you drop the power supply and damage it, Apple can make more money out of you. Good from Apple's point of view.

White plastic is easier to notice dirt and clean. Rubber can be a nightmare to clean and is way more prone to discolouration.

I myself, isn't worried too much about scratches on the power supply. Just as long as its working and the MBP isn't physically harmed. ;)

9. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

rubber is bad: gets dirty, wont hold a PCB well and too low a thermal conductivity. Black plastic (like my compact Thinkpad PSU) would be perfect - considering it´s something that lives on the floor.

The white PSU is bad design IMO - and the power lead to the laptop is too thin.