Why don't they offer chemical anti-glare treatment on glossy screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jun 10, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

When I buy eye glasses, they always offer me the option to get an anti-glare coating on the lenses. I've tried it with, and without, and I can attest that the coating they put on the lenses do in fact cut down on glare dramatically.

I was wondering why they don't offer the treatment option on the MBP line, or any other computer screen for that matter?

I think the treament only costs something like $50.00 for my eyeglasses, and even if it cost 1-200 for a screen, I would be willing to get it.

I keep comparing the anti-glare option (matte) and the glossy glass screen, and the matte option just doesn't compare. They say it is the same screen, without the glass, but there is such a big difference to me.

Just wishing they had glass + antiglare.

2. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Simple... because they intentionally want their products to have glares

3. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

gah, ive had the umbp and the glare is bugging me more and more

i wish i could sday that im getting used to it but no.. im getting sick of it

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Probably b/c it distorts color. Like coated optics on binoculars red or blue. I think that most filter out some colors and it sorta messes up a picture.

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Maybe. But when I wear my glasses with anti-glare, I see everything with normal colors. The light being refracted is 100% accurate, it is only the glare/reflection that has the color shifted to green/pink (vs. white)

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I doubt it. I saw a figure not long ago about glossy screens outselling their matte counterparts 10-1 or similar. If that is true, then it points to it being a cost issue. The demand probably wasn't enough for Apple to bother offering a matte option, since they probably made no money on it. If you'll remember, it was offered as a no-cost option. If you'll look at what Apple has done with the ExpressCard, they seem to be offering the 17" model as the fully customizable unit, with the rest being compromises on one level or another.