Why glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mazz0, Aug 11, 2012.

1. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before (I'm sure it has), but why do they need a glass back on the iPhones from 4 onwards? It makes sense when the antennae (is that the plural of antenna?) are on the inside, but if the metal bands are the antennae then what's it matter what the rest of the case is made of?

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Because its sexy :cool:

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Design choice considering the weight to strength ratio.

4. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

Yes that's the plural :) good boy

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well in a month or so looks like we will get the new iphone without a glass back.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am sure there are a multitude of reasons; aesthetics, cost, ease of manufacture, etc. While it does crack more easily than plastics, it is pretty cheap to replace if you ever need to, so I can't say that I mind it.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The antennas on the outside are just for the cellphone, not Wifi, GPS, or Bluetooth.

It depends on where you live. In North America, "antennas" is used for the metal receiver, and "antennae" for the insect appendage. British English usually doesn't make that distinction, and uses "antennae" for both.

Well, not fully glass. There are still glass windows on the top and bottom.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Also much better fit and finish, which the plastic-backed 3G/3GS was seriously lacking in.

9. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I figured Steve bought to much glass and needed to get rid of it. The more iPhones break and they can fix for $99 the more money they make on all the extra glass sitting in warehouse.

...kidding of course.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Moreover, the outside trim is only part of the cell antennas.

Apparently, the trim and the boards inside create a form of slot antennas at the top and bottom, from what I have read from antenna experts.

+1

Or plastic. Apple patented a process for seamless material butting, wherein they put some kind of glue between them that covers the gap, or something like that. Anyone have that patent handy to see what materials it covers?

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

glass is silky smooth and the back of the iphone can be replaced so easily if you develop scratches or cracks.

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The patent is for plastic.
    They machine the edges of the metal a certain way so that when they pour in the liquid plastic it bonds to the metal forming a strong and virtually seamless join.

14. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Because it looks gorgeous, and it's unlike all the cheap flimsy plastic backs of various other phones. Even though many hate the glass, I love it. Makes the phone so solid feeling in your hand.

From the leaks, it seems Apple will be ditching the glass for the next iPhone, since so many people (who had naked iphones, tsk tsk ;)) had problems with the glass shattering.

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

16. mazz0 thread starter macrumors 65816

mazz0

So it sounds like they stopped using the steel band for some of the antennae after the problems with the iPhone 4 in low signal areas, so there are some internal antennae in the new iPhone hence the glass windows. Wouldn't it have been better to keep the antennae external and simply apply an insulative coating?

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The worse thing was the plasticy feeling of the 3GS, and that one had cracking issues without ever even dropping the device. At least with this glass back, I've never had it randomly crack on its own!

18. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

It does feel gross. I do miss the chrome look and wish it was on the 4s. Maybe Apple will bring it back.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, the 3GS was prone to developing some big nasty cracks.

Chrome scratches real easy sometimes even by wiping with cloth.