Why has AT&T not throttled me?

mcdonoughdr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have an iPhone 5 with unlimited lte, I've used ell over 5 gb of data but I have not been slowed down, no text or email...

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Have you done a speed test? Also how long ago did you exceed 5gb? Being throttle with Lte is hard to see the dfference when just browsing the web

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Do a speed test. You're most likely being throttled but like they said, you can't really tell with simple web browsing and email.

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
I notice every time I go over 5gb when I get throttled but I have found a solution to this when I was on android but its to much of hassel anymore unless I hit 5gb way early I won't make effort to deploy my work around

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
When I still had unlimited up until May of this year, I would use well over 5, close to 15GB every month. No throttle. I swear this was (dont know if it still is) purely location based. Since I live in Seattle, the network performs just fine compared to other major cities. I still haven't heard anyone in the are get throttled. YMMV

So sad that I have a tiered plan now :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
When I still had unlimited up until May of this year, I would use well over 5, close to 15GB every month. No throttle. I swear this was (dont know if it still is) purely location based. Since I live in Seattle, the network performs just fine compared to other major cities. I still haven't heard anyone in the are get throttled. YMMV

So sad that I have a tiered plan now :(
I noticed that 3-4 months ago too on a 4S with unlimited data on my plan.
Sometimes it would hit 4-5GB's with no throttling, other times they would get the text and throttling after 6GB's.
So its not the same on every single place in the US. Its based on traffic on a specific location.
If you live in huge cities like NY and LA then expect to get hit with it as soon as you reach the limit.

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
Some customers that are with AT&T have major lee-way o went 10+GB month for 3 months in a row and have not got any sort of speed slow down; As a matter a fact they just put a 4G LTE tower so im getting 32 Down 7UP;):D

:apple:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have an iPhone 5 with unlimited lte, I've used ell over 5 gb of data but I have not been slowed down, no text or email...
Whereabouts are you located?

AT&T is enforcing the throttle more strictly in areas where the data network is congested, like major cities. In places where there's not a lot of traffic, they're more lax about it.

Either way, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If they aren't throttling you, enjoy it and don't remind them. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.