Why has the Republican Party become so thoroughly corrupt?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jerwin, Dec 15, 2018.

1. jerwin macrumors 68020

That's the lede sentence in this atlantic piece:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/how-did-republican-party-get-so-corrupt/578095/

It's a ragefilled piece, an angry piece, but the rage, and the anger is well earned

2. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Become corrupt?

BOTH Parties are corrupt to the core.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Winner winner carne asada with tamales dinner

4. Altis macrumors 68030

Most reasonable people are politically homeless at this point, and probably have been for a while.

It's the sad state of affairs of politics in many countries these days.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

We elect too many republicans or democrats and not enough Americans.

6. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Expect lots of equivalence arguments from those who are primarily defending the GZozp.There are vast differences between the two major parties. Saying they are both the same as your excuse to vote Republican is denial pure and simple, an inability to recognize or admit just how far the GOP has fallen, how disreputable they have become, how little truth means to them, and how they manipulate their base, using slogans involving patriotism, God, and fear of foreigners, while selling them on being happy with the crumbs that fall off their plates and that they really don’t need a national Single payer health plan, when they desperately do.

7. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Parties become corrupt when they hold all the power. The Republicans have had their run of the cookie jar since they have controlled both houses and the executive branch, and now (Like it always does) the pendulum is swinging the other way. Can't have corrupt politicians without a naive and "stick to the party no matter what" public voting them into office.

I feel the general public is naive, uneducated, and incapable of thinking for themselves. Doesn't matter which party we are talking about. Voter turn out is one example, partisan gerrymandering is another. We allow it by not doing anything about it to change it, and surprise! Corruption soon follows.

Power corrupts absolutely. I am surprised at how many politicians will say they want to reach across the isle and work with the other party, and how many people actually believe them...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    Now that the ACA has been ruled unconstitutional I wonder how many of those who will lose their health insurance will understand that they did it to themselves. Trump said it is now up to the Republicans to come up with a better solution. We already know how that turned out. Haven't heard a peep about a replacement from the Republicans since I can remember.... And his supporters are OK with that.

8. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Exactly right in this respect, The GOP has been undermining the ACA from the start, and they have no alternative plan. If affordable health care is a priority, it must be demanded by citizens at large. Stop voting for the party that does nor support this initiative.

9. jerwin thread starter macrumors 68020

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

If that's a political virtue, then attempts by a government to subvert the very notion of consent can be read as political corruption of the highest order.

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It is more correct to say: power attracts the corruptible.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Happy with the crumbs that fall off the plate? Wow - that describes the Dems to a "T".They do the same thing to minorities: Use them for votes and then shove them into citys and chuck food stamps and free cell phones at them to keep them quiet. Of course, they now have made them 100% dependent on the Govt which means more built-in votes.

C'mon, like both parties dont do this? Youre smarter than that. I know you are.

12. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Dems are not the ones who have made trickle down/supply side economics a cornerstone of their platform for almost 40 years. The GOP love giving welfare to the 1%, Corporations, farmers, the MIC, everyone, except those who really need it. That is their scam and it’s up to average citizens to call BS on them using their vote.

13. zin macrumors 6502

You know both parties passed the Reagan tax cuts and that Obama made the Bush tax cuts permanent, right?

The ‘scam’ is that they only oppose one another on wedge issues that they know will never disappear (rich vs. poor). When the votes come up, they both supported Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Yemen (to name a few); they both passed mass warrantless surveillance; and they both love giving handouts to corporations (Obamacare, anybody?).

Wake up.......... there are no angels there, only demons. It doesn’t change anything just because the blue demon says he cares about you.

14. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Please get your facts straight before you try to influence people. The Democrat majority was against the tax Reagan tax cuts.

The key vote, 238 to 195, gave Mr. Reagan a third upset victory over the Democratic House majority on fiscal issues. The President won by virtue of the same coalition of Republicans and Southern Democrats that brought him victory in May on the budget resolution and in June on the budget reconciliation bill.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/30/...-by-wide-margins-in-the-house-and-senate.html

The Democrats were too chicken, fearing for their seats to vote against Iraq under W, they never supported invading a foreign country on trumped up charges, and the Republicans have been dead set against Obamacare since it was created.

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I wouldn't say they are more corrupt per se, though I think there are some select members who stopped giving a frak such as McConnell, Nunes and a few others. I think collectively they have become more enabling to views that they used to stand against in order to maintain power. They've lost any integrity they had in claiming to be the moral party. And I think that enabling the likes of Trump, that's had a trickle down effect with not only those in his administration but also with those that back him.

He goes against everything that evangelicals would run away from at any other time, yet they took him in and called him a Christian. There's a number of examples of members of his own admin saw how he extravagant he was and took advantage of that for their own personal gains. Trump is lazy and inept at even doing his job. Reports from his own people say he doesn't like to read daily briefings and he spends abnormal amount of time watching tv. He has childish tangents with others in his own admin and even strangers often times for no reason. He injects his views in ways not meant for a President to do, that any other POTUS would be called out for by either side. He does all this and so much more and the Republican party sits back and does nothing and all that does is enable not only his temperament but that also encourages in others.

So again I doing think they more corrupt, I just think they see what they can get away with the people because they see the way Trump's supporters stand by him regardless.

I think those on the Right need to ask themselves an honest question, even if they only keep the answer to themselves, would you honestly accept this same kind of act if it was a Democrat President?

16. zin macrumors 6502

Your link says Democrats joined him and voted for the tax cuts (in both chambers).

Wow, you’ve an excuse for everything they do. ‘Too chicken’ to vote against war. They voted for it but didn’t support it. Do you not even see the contortions you’re going through to excuse their conduct?

Obamacare is a massive corporatist piece of legislation that lavished billions in subsidies upon insurance companies.

17. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

What you have said, giving up standards for political power, is the exact description of be corrupted.

18. mac_in_tosh, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I think it's clear that the GOP, as the majority in both houses, has been negligent in their duty to provide checks and balances against possibly the most corrupt and dangerous president in the history of the nation. Emoluments clause violations? Attacking the press as the enemy of the people? Russian meddling and Trump's obvious indebtedness to Putin? Constant lying? No problem. Add to that their complete sellout to the top 1%'ers and their attempts to limit voting and you have a pretty good case to call the GOP corrupt. It's to the point where Sen. Orin Hatch actually said that he didn't care if Trump broke the law because he was doing such a good job. Thankfully, he walked back that statement. And there may be some cracks in the GOP obsequiousness toward Trump given the Senate resolution on Saudi Arabia, but I suspect that's more out of recognition that Trump's legal problems are weakening him so they may be starting to jump ship, rather than any devotion to a higher cause.

Now I know people are saying "the Dems are no better" but this thread is about GOP corruption and how it's increased this past two years with their control of the White House and Congress. Lifelong Republicans have left the GOP over it's abandonment of traditional principles of fiscal responsibility, law and order and family values.

19. Huntn, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

My link says there was a group of Southen Democrats who went with the Republicans to pass that Reagan tax vote. I need to research this. You maybe right in this instance that more Dems voted for it than not, other than the Republicans held the majority in the Senate. Unfortunately politicians at times bend to the percieved will of their electorate. However as a platform, tax cuts are not the driving force in the Democrat Party platform, as it is in the GOP.

20. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

All gerrymandering and neutering of powers of the governor are purely Republican Party driven. The old deflection that both are as bad as each other is a tired, old excuse nobody believes.

21. jerwin thread starter macrumors 68020

It's been used in New Jersey and, iirc, in Maryland.

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Racism and bigotry only last for so long.

23. millerj123 macrumors 68000

I wish this were true.

24. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Oh Please!
    So you were saying only the Republicans have ever used gerrymandering to gain an edge in election? You must have a very short memory.